Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hottest Day of the Year
Sorry this is a long post, but I am super excited and want to share. The weather man said it was going to be the hottest day of the year today. The fishing wasn't that far behind.

Gave the Bear River a try this afternoon for my lunch break. It has been VERY slow on the river so far this spring. I had some large sucker pieces from a previous trip to use as bait. Got my 2 lines in the water and within 5 minutes I had a nice steady take on my heavy rod. I brought the line tight and did the slow swing to hopefully put the circle hook right in the corner of the mouth. It stuck. What happened next was what I have been hoping for...big, heavy head shakes then a powerful run taking drag. It stayed down for quite a while, taking drag a couple of times. I could not get this fish off the bottom. Then it finally broke the surface and I got really excited. At this moment my second rod goes bendo (Tube Dude expression) and I am in a fix. I'm fighting probably the biggest cat of my life and my other pole is bent over double throbbing with another nice cat. Hopefully the other fish will still be there when I'm finished with the 1st. We'll after a lengthy fight, a couple of more runs, and several missed attempts at netting this big boy, I finally got him in the net. All I can say is Holy Smokes. My personal best cat. Heavy, long and thick. The head was massive. That circle hook was right in the corner of the mouth.

No time for admiration, I've got another pole that has a fish on it. This one was also very nice and took it's turn pulling a little drag. It would have been the second biggest I've caught so far this year if I hadn't just caught a bigger one.

Time for a measurement.

1st fish, 33 inches.
2nd fish 28 inches.
Both released to fight again.

I then caught a 26.5" and a 15". Hottest day of fishing so far this year on the Bear. Hey boys, they are waking up.
[Image: 20200429-141257-2.jpg]

[Image: 20200429-141023-1.jpg]
Well done sir
Great fish(s). Congrats. I hope they start moving around a bit now the weather is in a pattern. We were out in the evening at the BRBR, too. . Amazing with so many differnt birds serenading us. Had a number of small pickups but no solid takes, but for sure more active.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Whow, congratulations to a great day. I swore many years ago I would never go back to the Bear. I swore it on TV on the Doug Miller show. I may have to eat those words. Way to go.
That river can be extremely frustrating. Access is limited until you get to the refuge, and even when you get there, you can only fish certain areas. The easy access spots are fished heavily and so the pressure is high. Parking areas are also limited. I like to hike out and explore areas away from the road, but even those areas can be tough as well.

But then she will turn around and give up a gem like yesterday. Just knowing there are fish of that size in there keeps me coming back.
(04-30-2020, 05:22 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: That river can be extremely frustrating. Access is limited until you get to the refuge, and even when you get there, you can only fish certain areas. The easy access spots are fished heavily and so the pressure is high. Parking areas are also limited. I like to hike out and explore areas away from the road, but even those areas can be tough as well.

But then she will turn around and give up a gem like yesterday. Just knowing there are fish of that size in there keeps me coming back.

Nice catch, my friend.
Thanks Jim
Paul that was a real HOG ! From the looks of it's color and big mouth and head, I would say the spawn has gotten started. 
Great batch of catches, great post. 
I see you recoverd your hat...........Smile
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
It was a hog of a fish for sure. I think the spawn is still about a month away, but I bet they are prepping for it.