Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Morman Crickets for Cats
I forgot I had a bunch of Morman Crickets. Some cat fishermen along the Snake R. in Oregon swear it is the best cat bait. I caught them last fall and put them in a fridge downstairs and forgot about them. They are crispy critters now, like freeze dried, however I soaked three of them in water overnight and they look great. I'm going to make up a few of them for my next trip to LB. Maybe Sunday and Monday. I will tie a #2 bait hook to a 16 inch piece of 20 lb. All-pro and with a needle, thread the cricket down against the hook. I don't really think they will work better than what I have been using. But, BFT NEEDS TO KNOW!

[Image: IMG-20200429-210012.jpg]
I will be waiting for a report on this experiment. I bet a few critters will take a second look.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I'm betting they will work.  Better than other baits?  Probably not.

I have had reliable reports from others over the years that the cats will take them.  And I know they eat regular crickets, grasshoppers and other big-enough bugs.  They also love garden snails.

Just watch out for seagulls.
(04-30-2020, 11:19 AM)TubeDude Wrote: I'm betting they will work.  Better than other baits?  Probably not.

I have had reliable reports from others over the years that the cats will take them.  And I know they eat regular crickets, grasshoppers and other big-enough bugs.  They also love garden snails.

Sounds to me like one of those seasonal things, where the cats eat em like mad when the "hatch" is on.  LIke the cicadas on the Upper Green.  

But, why wouldn't they work?

(04-30-2020, 11:19 AM)TubeDude Wrote: I'm betting they will work.  Better than other baits?  Probably not.

Sounds to me like one of those seasonal things, where the cats eat em like mad when the "hatch" is on.  LIke the cicadas on the Upper Green.  

But, why wouldn't they work?
I've caught big bluegills and carp on them, so I expect anything will eat them given a chance.