Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry is ON
Ice is mostly off the lake, at least near the marina. There were a few a thin sheets floating around mostly less that 3 feet in diameter. A west wind came up late morning. Water was 39-40 degrees. Fished for couple hours just east of the marina and landed 2 nice Kokes. I had small rainbow later in the session when the wind came up. I had downrigger going at 15' but it didnt see any action.  Boat ramp docks are not in the water. 

I've never been to Strawberry this early so I'm not sure I'm fishing it to its fullest. Suggestions are welcome.  [Image: Looking-east.jpg] [Image: ramp.jpg] [Image: Marina.jpg]
(04-30-2020, 08:03 PM)Thinair_Boy Wrote: Ice is mostly off the lake, at least near the marina. There were a few a thin sheets floating around mostly less that 3 feet in diameter. A west wind came up late morning. Water was 39-40 degrees. Fished for couple hours just east of the marina and landed 2 nice Kokes. I had small rainbow later in the session when the wind came up. I had downrigger going at 15' but it didnt see any action.  Boat ramp docks are not in the water. 

I've never been to Strawberry this early so I'm not sure I'm fishing it to its fullest. Suggestions are welcome.  [Image: Looking-east.jpg] [Image: ramp.jpg] [Image: Marina.jpg]
Good for you getting out there this early...I think you did ok for the water still being as cold as it is...I don't know if there's any water in the various columns that's closer to that magic 52 deg, but that's what the kokes would like, if there at all....any other boats out there?  Guluk...
{Suggestions are welcome}
first you need a good fishfinder and know how to read it.
don"t believe them that say the kokanee are all on top, the fishfinder will tell you where they are at 
if you find the kokes and  how deep to put your downriggers, there is a lot to think about,  if they are not hitting what you have you need to change
you need to think about colors, your set backs from the downrigger ball,  how long of a leader to use between the dodger and squid.
and your speed,     sometimes it may take me over two hr. to find this,  and sometimes no matter what you do they will not bite
also worms and shrimp on my hooks have worked good this time of year.   plus it will help catch cuts.
I'm doing another turn & burn with AFDan to the Gorge mid next week. Hoping the Berry will have those docks dropped in by then so I can Lake My Day soon. Big Grin
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Docks are in at the Berry as of today. FYI.