Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba 4-30
Finally visited Yuba Lake today. Weather was awesome early afternoon (80's). Lots of families on North and West beaches and several on boats/jet skis around Oasis campground.

Tried crayfishing just south of Oasis near the rocky area with a couple 3 traps. Water temps appeared to be high 50's/low 60's. Mudbugs must still be practicing social distancing...
(05-01-2020, 02:49 AM)CrayDad Wrote: Finally visited Yuba Lake today. Weather was awesome early afternoon (80's). Lots of families on North and West beaches and several on boats/jet skis around Oasis campground.

Tried crayfishing just south of Oasis near the rocky area with a couple 3 traps. Water temps appeared to be high 50's/low 60's. Mudbugs must still be practicing social distancing...

Sounds like things a starting to heat up, it won't be long before things turn on there. Have you caught crayfish there before?
I have not. I mostly catch them at Scofield or Strawberry but wanted to check out a new place.

A fellow crayfisher mentioned that area was good. Most likely water temperature was still too cold. I'll probably try again in another few weeks.
I have fished Yuba since the 1970s and have never seen a crawdad in Yuba...nor any in stomach contents of any fish caught from Yuba.  It is mostly a big mud bottom reservoir with almost no rocky shoreline or cover for crawdads to live or spawn.  The main exception is around the dam, but even then I doubt that many could escape all of the hungry mouths.  It is entirely possible that small communities of them might exist in small areas but they are not present in big numbers throughout the lake.  And the frequent radical drawdowns make the situation even less desirable for those mudbugs.
Thanks for the info
(05-06-2020, 10:52 PM)CrayDad Wrote: Thanks for the info

I agree with Tube Dude, we fished a bunch together back in the "day". I have chased Crawfish all over the state for many years. I have never seen or heard of a crawfish in Yuba. Possible some small population but I would be shocked to hear of any significant niumbers there.
Mildog
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life