Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sand Hollow 4/30
Went to Sand Hollow yesterday.  Arrived about 8:00 am.  Fished till 11:30.  Two anglers, seven total fish -- plus I missed three and broke one off.  So, not fast, but worth doing.  The fish were all good quality, I thought.  I had never fished Sand Hollow before, but I thought the surroundings were beautiful, and the water clarity was incredible.  As other people have mentioned, the fish were off of the shore in maybe 10-15 feet of water, hanging around submerged snags or rock-silt transitions.  Caught them on soft plastics.  I had an unenthusiastic swipe at a pop-r early in the morning, but it looked like everybody was using soft plastics.  Talked to the staff there, it sounds like we missed the peak time by about a week, but I still enjoyed it.  I think if I could have been there by 6:00 rather than 8:00, that would have made a signficant difference.  There's a lot of traffic once it warms up.  I'm sure this is news to no one, so I'm writing it down just to motivate myself, I guess. [Image: 4-30-sand-hollow2.jpg] [Image: 4-30-sand-hollow1.jpg]
Nice report. Beautiful Bass. Way to go!
_6x_ pid= Wrote:Went to Sand Hollow yesterday.  Arrived about 8:00 am.  Fished till 11:30.  Two anglers, seven total fish -- plus I missed three and broke one off.  So, not fast, but worth doing.  The fish were all good quality, I thought.  I had never fished Sand Hollow before, but I thought the surroundings were beautiful, and the water clarity was incredible.  As other people have mentioned, the fish were off of the shore in maybe 10-15 feet of water, hanging around submerged snags or rock-silt transitions.  Caught them on soft plastics.  I had an unenthusiastic swipe at a pop-r early in the morning, but it looked like everybody was using soft plastics.  Talked to the staff there, it sounds like we missed the peak time by about a week, but I still enjoyed it.  I think if I could have been there by 6:00 rather than 8:00, that would have made a signficant difference.  There's a lot of traffic once it warms up.  I'm sure this is news to no one, so I'm writing it down just to motivate myself, I guess. [Image: 4-30-sand-hollow2.jpg] [Image: 4-30-sand-hollow1.jpg]

Nice job!  Thanks for the report.
(05-01-2020, 07:24 PM)_6x_ Wrote: Went to Sand Hollow yesterday.  Arrived about 8:00 am.  Fished till 11:30.  Two anglers, seven total fish -- plus I missed three and broke one off.  So, not fast, but worth doing.  The fish were all good quality, I thought.  I had never fished Sand Hollow before, but I thought the surroundings were beautiful, and the water clarity was incredible.  As other people have mentioned, the fish were off of the shore in maybe 10-15 feet of water, hanging around submerged snags or rock-silt transitions.  Caught them on soft plastics.  I had an unenthusiastic swipe at a pop-r early in the morning, but it looked like everybody was using soft plastics.  Talked to the staff there, it sounds like we missed the peak time by about a week, but I still enjoyed it.  I think if I could have been there by 6:00 rather than 8:00, that would have made a signficant difference.  There's a lot of traffic once it warms up.  I'm sure this is news to no one, so I'm writing it down just to motivate myself, I guess. [Image: 4-30-sand-hollow2.jpg] [Image: 4-30-sand-hollow1.jpg]

Slammed them all day the past 3 days.  Nice chunky fish, really healthy and agressive.  Caught them mostly shallow, in the trees.  Wanted fast moving baits.  Slow and slow pause retrieves got nothing.  Was pulling in for another cast when noticed follows.  Began speedy retrives and it was on like kong...Huge Bluegills too.  One right after another when you found the school.
Even switched to the flyrod on Friday.  Still on, same places, same retrives.  3 lb bass on a 3wt flyrod is a blast.  Gills were all over black cone head mop flies and #10 prince nymphs.  Again, wanted movement.  Wanted to chase it down, not saunter up to it.