Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Pike?
I was discussing this with a friend the other day and realized I hadn't heard of any Pike coming out of Utah Lake this year.  Have any of you caught any this year or heard of any being caught?
I haven't heard of any but I'm pretty certain they haven't been eradicated. On the other hand, I remember reading that the DWR electroshocked the lower Hobble Creek last year and didn't find a single one.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Chances are that the Pike are hanging out in all of the new cover.  I am not personally convinced that UL is that great of habitat for them anyway.  

Pike prefer clear water becase they are ambush preditors.  UL has probably never been "clear" and with the carp it never will be much clearer then it is now.  They also prefer cool water, and much of UL's season is sure not clear.  I suspect that eggs suffacate when spawned (hot 100%), and I have never seen what I would call a "fat" pike there.

Still, once started, which they are, they will never be gone.  They may hide a few years and show up again, but .....