Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HB255 Implementation Update
Okay boys and girls, here’s the latest information I have on the transition to the new Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) policies for Utah.  This information came to me from the Utah DNR/DWR Office that is responsible for implementing the new policies.  I offer it to you for your recreational planning purposes only.  Since some of the changes can have a negative effect on your personal activities and further discussions on the issues can turn volatile in a heartbeat, I shall not be responding to this thread beyond this original posting.  Be safe out there this summer and enjoy your recreation endeavors responsibly.

The AIS folks are moving along with the development of the system and hope to have it available to test within the next few weeks. The AIS folks decided to keep the self-certification requirement for all boaters for the remainder of 2020, and the requirement can still be satisfied one of two ways for residents: either through the completion of the online education course or through signing and displaying the single-use forms at boat ramps (or available online).

For non-residents, the self-certification requirement will automatically be satisfied when they complete the mandatory online education course. Regardless of residency status, proof of self-certification still needs to be displayed on the dash of the launch vehicle. The self-certification program will be re-evaluated next winter to determine whether it is still appropriate.

The payment portal for non-residents is also in development and will allow non-residents to pay fees for multiple boats, if needed. Information gathered through this process (like bow #, boat type, etc.) will be used to generate a scannable QR code that will allow Utah inspectors to scan the code on the mandatory online education course completion certificate once the boater shows up to launch, hopefully expediting the entrance inspection process. The same system will be available to residents who would like to have that QR code generated for them to expedite entrance, but for residents, the payment part would be omitted.

It is not certain now whether or not the ability to scan those codes will be available this summer, but the AIS folks are trying to do so. Those codes will play a larger part in Utah’s program moving forward as the AIS folks continue to look for more efficient ways of collecting the information they need to get boaters on and off of the water faster and provide better customer service.

The fee paid by non-resident boaters will be good for one year from date of issue (similar to a car registration), while the mandatory online education course completion certificate will be valid for the calendar year.

I hope this provides you with useful information you can use to plan your recreational adventures this year.  The AIS folks plan to develop a FAQ list in the next couple of weeks that will address many of the questions that are sure to arise regarding these new AIS policies.  There will be a link to it (the FAQ list) on their website shortly.  I will provide that link as soon as I receive word that it is up and running.

Wishing every one of you a safe and memorable summer in 2020.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."