Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LB closed today, Friday 5/8/20
<p>Just a heads-up to anyone thinking of launching at Lincoln Beach today. The Sheriff's Command Post is set up there in the search for the two missing girls. Dispatch had no idea if they would still be using it tomorrow, which is understandable. It would probably just be better to go to Provo.</p>
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I took a ride out that way this a.m. to see if I could pick up a few wb at Mulberry. As Craig stated, the LB launch is closed. At 7:00 they were just starting to launch the search/rescue/recovery boats to beging the search. The water was very calm so hopefully they will have some success today. Very tragic situation.

I thought I passed Ben a couple miles from Lincoln on my way home. Hope he didn't make the trip from San Pete Co. only to be turned away from Lincoln. 

Gotta feel for the parents and friends of these two young ladies. I know their pain; it never goes away. Time helps but the pain will always be there. May they find peace in their hearts.

BLK
It will be over soon. Apologies for being crude about it, but after three or four days, they'll "bloat and float" like carp. Recovery will soon follow.
That's pretty harsh. Those kids are the same age as my daughter. Prayers sent to their families.
no need to aploguise to me im not their family
but if i were your crude comment would hurt deeply
crude is as crude posts
like ron swanson says
stay classy bft
healing thoughts and prayers sent
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
Ya know. I keep wondering why they do not want help from other boaters like fishermen. I can see the need to stay out of the way and not interfer with their grid pattern searches but that is a huge area to search. I would think at some point they should welcome other boaters with sonar to search some of the area. That area is almost completely flat on the botton and as we fishermen know any object the size of a catfish hugging the bottom is easily seen on sonar. The sonar cone is admittedly very small but still a large object would be easy to see. 

I'll stay away until this tragic situation is resolved one way or another. Like many of us, I'd be there in a heart beat if help was needed. 

Comfort to the parents and appreciation for the dedicated rescue teams.

BLK
(05-09-2020, 05:48 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: The sonar cone is admittedly very small but still a large object would be easy to see. 

Actually, it can be quite wide if one has side imaging.  With quality side imaging one can easily see a swath of over 200' wide at one time.
kentofnsl
The sonar cone is admittedly very small but still a large object would be easy to see. </quote>
Actually, it can be quite wide if one has side imaging.  With quality side imaging one can easily see a swath of over 200' wide at one time.

With my side scan I can see 300' at one time, 150' on each side. Those really expensive type that search and rescure use can make even wider swaths than that, they have those pull behind the boat units. I know they have used them at Strawberry and even Causey years ago, so they are likely using them on this recovery too.
(05-10-2020, 06:44 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: kentofnsl
The sonar cone is admittedly very small but still a large object would be easy to see. </quote>

With my side scan I can see 300' at one time, 150' on each side. Those really expensive type that search and rescure use can make even wider swaths than that, they have those pull behind the boat units.

True, but probably not at Utah Lake, because it is so shallow.
(05-10-2020, 07:51 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(05-10-2020, 06:44 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: kentofnsl

With my side scan I can see 300' at one time, 150' on each side. Those really expensive type that search and rescure use can make even wider swaths than that, they have those pull behind the boat units.

True, but probably not at Utah Lake, because it is so shallow.

Just let the proffesionals do their job, they don't need alot of boats messing their search patterns up. If they are in the lake they will turn up sooner or later and it just may be a fisherman or other boater that finds them. I sure feel for the families, God Bless them all.
As of 5/11/20, it looks like they have called off boat searches and will do aircraft fly-overs 3 or 4 times a day.

It does not look good.  If they got washed up in the brush flooded in the last two years, it may not be something that shows up for some time, if at all.

Sad, very Sad.