Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber 5-7-20
Hit the lower weber for a couple of hours on Thursday. Water release at approximately 68 cfs from echo. Water was stained but fish were still very active. Predominately caught white fish with an occasional browns nymphing. Definitely got my river therapy.

[Image: IMG-E7012.jpg] [Image: IMG-E7005.jpg] [Image: IMG-E7001.jpg] [Image: IMG-E7009.jpg] photoupload
Thanks for the report!  I'm interested in trying to catch a whitefish.  I used to do it by accident up in southwestern montana, but I haven't caught one in years.  Do you find there are any particular patterns they especially like, if you don't mind my asking?
(05-10-2020, 04:05 PM)_6x_ Wrote: Thanks for the report!  I'm interested in trying to catch a whitefish.  I used to do it by accident up in southwestern montana, but I haven't caught one in years.  Do you find there are any particular patterns they especially like, if you don't mind my asking?
On the Weber I've found they love small scud imitations (size 14 or 16) in hot pink, rainbow, gray with flash back. They really have small mounths and tend not to take anything much bigger. In my opinion they fight much better than browns of equal size.
Thanks, I'll give thsoe a try! As you say, I'm sure small patterns are better for hooking them, as well.
I agree with the fight of the whitefish. 
I used to fish the Weber, Blacksmith Fork, and the Logan quite a bit.  The whitefish always seemed to be in the fast water runs and the browns would laying in the holes.  The other thing about whitefish, where you find one, you usually find several more.
They may not be the prettiest fish but they don't give up quickly.
Smile
(05-10-2020, 11:19 PM)_6x_ Wrote: Thanks, I'll give thsoe a try! As you say, I'm sure small patterns are better for hooking them, as well.

I don't usually target whitefish but I've certainly caught many hundreds of them on the Weber with size 10 nymphs. As mentioned they do hang out (and bite) in groups so sometimes they can save a slow day. I have to throw size 6 or larger to stop picking up abundant whitefish on the Weber.