Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah lake
Hit one of the beach pull offs Friday for 3 hours of pleasure.   The wind was fresh at small white cap speed  but warm sun to offset.    Put two lines out with chub minnows  and shrimp and worn combo.   Ten minutes and the first cat came to visit, a 25 inch channel.   On minnows.   Ten more  minutes and the shrimp and worms got a 10 to 12 # carp that turned into bait.   One very large mud cat came next.   The next two hours got me three break offs on my 10 pound fire line crystal.   The first just picked it up and headed out,  one great head shake and snap.   Felt very big.   The next two got to the rushes and won the battle of the crystal line.  Going to inspect the line closely to see if it needs replacing.   Any one with fire line crystal experience? was great to just set in a chair and watch the Wilson turns entertain me.    Rolleyes
(05-09-2020, 06:14 PM)cdbrc Wrote: Hit one of the beach pull offs Friday for 3 hours of pleasure.   The wind was fresh at small white cap speed  but warm sun to offset.    Put two lines out with chub minnows  and shrimp and worn combo.   Ten minutes and the first cat came to visit, a 25 inch channel.   On minnows.   Ten more  minutes and the shrimp and worms got a 10 to 12 # carp that turned into bait.   One very large mud cat came next.   The next two hours got me three break offs on my 10 pound fire line crystal.   The first just picked it up and headed out,  one great head shake and snap.   Felt very big.   The next two got to the rushes and won the battle of the crystal line.  Going to inspect the line closely to see if it needs replacing.   Any one with fire line crystal experience? was great to just set in a chair and watch the Wilson turns entertain me.    Rolleyes

<p>awesome. not had expierence with the crystal. my cat rods are rigged with 15 lb spiderwire and a 14 lb silver thread leader. never had a break off. gonna try some flurocarbon leader soon . same weight i think. thanks for sharing</p>
With braid being so thin I run 30 lb braid currently stuff called godline and another brand kastking on my reels. I have 7 rods I use regularly and all have a type of 30 lb braid for mainline. I use 30 lb mono for leader for abrasion resistance. I use the Palomar knot and never had a breakoff unless  it gets off hook
(05-10-2020, 04:50 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: With braid being so thin I run 30 lb braid currently stuff called godline and another brand kastking on my reels. I have 7 rods I use regularly and all have a type of 30 lb braid for mainline. I use 30 lb mono for leader for abrasion resistance. I use the Palomar knot and never had a breakoff unless  it gets off hook

What he said!   Smile    If you're a 'hook & cook' kind of fisherman, go big or go home.   Big Grin

Also, if you're line choice is mono, the experts pretty much all recommend replacing it at the beginning of each new season.  Braid can go 2 or 3 seasons between changes.  
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I checked the line and it was pretty warn.  Got thinking about how old it was and three years.   Added another 25 yards of new line,and all new leaders.    As far as eating them,  fish git in your mouth,    yuak...
Also, take a qtip and run it over your guides to see if they are notched or cut by the line !  Many times if you are consistentley breakeing your line, even after putting fresh line on,  you have a notched guide.  If it is notched,  the cotten on the qtip will grab on the notch and pull out letting you know it needs to be replaced !!