Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evening Catfish on Utah Lake
For the last couple of weeks I have been trying out Utah Lake from shore.  The first day was April 28 in the evening.  We did pretty well in a few hours of fishing.  Here is the link to the video.  

https://youtu.be/eGcmYFgaYKE

My son and I went down to the lake in the evening as the sun was getting low.  I wanted to try out my old vintage Zebco 808 I just restored and we wanted to see if we could catch any white bass.  Well we got to our spot and no sooner had I put out my rod with a nice hunk of cut bait, that it had a fish on.  

Soon we had some company who had fished there on the prior Friday and nailed the white bass.  I fixed one of them up with my last catfish hook and sinker and they too soon had a couple nice channel cats in.  We caught 4 more that evening and kept 4 nice ones for dinner.  

Later that week on Thursday we tried the same spot at noon. Nothing... Not one bite, so we returned in the evening and again we had the fish bite back. We caught a bunch more channel cat and the white bass were biting well.  

I wanted to try the same spot in the early morning, so my brother and I hit the spot before the sun came up the next week. Nothing.  

So I learned a valuable lesson.  When fishing from shore in shallow water, the catfishing is so much better as the sun is getting low, going down and it is dark.  

I would like to try some other spots.  Accessing Utah Lake from shore can be such a challenge.  I have one son who doesn't like to go out on the boat much.  He is a land lover, so it was great to see him enjoy catching some nice catfish.  

Matthew
One thing to keep in mind this time of year is water temp's. By evening the sun has been warming the water all day and warm water fish will be much more active in the afternoon and evening.

We were fishing up in the Mill Race Canal on Saturday. We located a school of white bass so we camped on them for the afternoon. As we fished the surface temp rose just over ten degrees between 1-8 PM. As the water warmed the bites and how hard that they struck went up also.

The best part is that it is only going to keep getting better.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(05-11-2020, 06:49 PM)Outfishing13 Wrote: So I learned a valuable lesson.  When fishing from shore in shallow water, the catfishing is so much better as the sun is getting low, going down and it is dark.  
Your "valuable lesson" may only be true for a short window in time.