Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Lake lure recommendations?
My son and I are headed to Yuba Lake this weekend to try our luck there.  We are quite content to catch...well, anything.  :-)  My son's main target is pike.  Hopefully it isn't too warm just yet to get them from the shore (or maybe it is just a waste of time).  Searching the forum it appears that the pike numbers are down but that there are also smallies, wipers and carp (and tiger muskie).  I have no clue how to fish for any of those.  I know pike are ambush predators and need some structure to hide under.  I am not entirely sure what lures might work best for them.  So, any advice is appreciated.  I am accustomed to flies and small spinners and the like used for trout in Uinta Lakes.  Larger fish are an unknown.

From the forum information I think we will try near the damn and potentially near the narrows and see if the flats on the north are flooded.

Thanks!
It is super flooded right now with this year's water conditions, so I imagine there's plenty of cover to fish. You should be able to get into some pike using large spinners especially in red and white.
For hammer handles (small pike and tiger muskies), any Rapala or minnow type bait in a Size 11 or larger can work.  They will cut you off so a steel leader is necessary.  The largest in-line spinners like those made by Meps, or Double Cow Girls work.

For the smallies, or walleye, diving plugs/crank baits that cover water and bump bottom are an excellent option.  Perch color and fire tiger should work well.

I prefer Whopper Ploppers for the larger Pike and Tigers, and some of the larger Smallies like these top water lures as well.

KSL outdoors had a recent show showing the Walleye and some of the Pike they were netting, but then Adam mentioned they had been back to catch the Walleye and they have failed to catch them.  But, now should be the time.

No promises, but good luck.  For the Walleye any good depth change and rock or gravel should concentrate them.  The Pike and Tigers and Smallies will sure do better around larger rocks, brush, weeds, etc.