Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear River-Refuge Update 5.12.20
Took some time to try for some catfish and found the water quite low downstream, a bit high above.  The temperatures were good, maybe a little low, and a weak storm front was moving through so that was an impact.

It was apparent that it has been hit very hard.  Some holes had numerous dead carp on the shore and the carp are active for sure.  The dead carp are not so bad, they will all decompose.  On the other hand, I picked up several bags of garbage, to include orange textured rubber gloves at several holes.  Yes, other garbage, including face mask, bottles, worm containers, empty hook packages, but the gloves and face mask sure seemed a strange sign of the times.

I was using frozen chub for bait, some with some whirly fligs Tube Dude provided.  Most holes gave no love, but a couple were full of small cats.  I got one little almost 17" to test photo, but it, and its smaller siblings, are still swimming.
thanks fer your updates
learning a new waterway has been my wet market wu flu silver lining in a multi month storm system of dark clouds
kudos for cleaning lot of junk in that river
found a decent duck decoy the other day if anybody wants it and load up the boat or sup with garbage every trip
moreso on the non wading access side
that rivers a blast on the sup and a great flow for that fishing platform
ive seen a few cats but them kittys dont chomp flies like the poopers
Its an awesome ecco system
[Image: IMG_7143%203_zpsjggs3upz.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7016%202_zps7m6jf9ka.jpg]
[Image: IMG_6997%202_zpsxkhylzmd.jpg]
[Image: IMG_69782_zpsjwtxktue.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7112%202_zpshc30fwyw.jpg]
[Image: DSCN6437%202_zpsepznr1x4.jpg]
[Image: DSCN6405%202_zps7pj5ac6z.jpg]
maybe see ya out there
i want to try a multi dayer from above the refuge and float in this summer
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
(05-14-2020, 05:32 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote: Took some time to try for some catfish and found the water quite low downstream, a bit high above.  The temperatures were good, maybe a little low, and a weak storm front was moving through so that was an impact.

It was apparent that it has been hit very hard.  Some holes had numerous dead carp on the shore and the carp are active for sure.  The dead carp are not so bad, they will all decompose.  On the other hand, I picked up several bags of garbage, to include orange textured rubber gloves at several holes.  Yes, other garbage, including face mask, bottles, worm containers, empty hook packages, but the gloves and face mask sure seemed a strange sign of the times.

I was using frozen chub for bait, some with some whirly fligs Tube Dude provided.  Most holes gave no love, but a couple were full of small cats.  I got one little almost 17" to test photo, but it, and its smaller siblings, are still swimming.

Good recon.  Yep, that part of the lower Bear from the Reeder flow to the bottom gates has been, and will continue to be hard fished.  That is a real shame about the trash that is left along that river. I always go out of there with alot more than I went in with.  As for the bigger Cats, I kinda think John (Ahi1953), Paul (jig_fisher), and sharksugar101, have caught and caged up all the big'uns..............Big Grin   just kidding.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Ya fishskibum, if you like the freshwater bonefish, they will sure take flies.  I use to do that with a snail fly and a crayfish fly in clear water and them carp are suckers for a well-placed fly, just like real bonefish.  For a hard pull, big fish, they can't be beat.  Now, if they jumped, they would be muddy water salmon.  I like your ride, perfect for that river.

Tin-Can, I have fished near John, so I know a couple of his spots, and he has them so well trained that they flipped me the middle fin.  

Hopefully mentioning that we don't need to leave rubber gloves on the bank will inspire a lurker on here to pick up their gloves next time.  Considering that COVID-19 can't survive more than a couple of minutes in the sunlight, I am still trying to see why mask and gloves would be there, unless they are social distancing from the fish also.  Hmmmmm