Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VERY Slow day at Rockport !!
Was lucky to be able to socially isolate with a good friend on Rockport in his 20ft Procraft !!  Skies were overcast pretty much all day, except for about 30 minutes of sunshine in the late morning.  Even got hit with a few raindrops.  Air temps were in the mid 50's, with a breeze from the north.  Started in the South East end,  throwing Ned rigs, spinners, cranks !  NADA!!  moved over to the west on the old road bed, same baits, same result.  North wind started to pick up and the clouds began to thicken, so we hustled down to the dam area and began pitching our baits in the spillway corner.  Partner go hit a couple of times, had the fish on for a time, but they came unbuttoned before we could assertain what species they were.  Got desperate and began trolling along the face of the dam.  Buddy was pulling jointed Rapala in perch flavor and to hit severl times but no hookups.  Continued up the west shore line to the first big bay on the right as you go south, turned around and trolled back to the spillway corner.  NO bites, no hookups.  We put the troller on spot lock and began working the spillway corner with Ned rigs, Dropshot, and grubs.  No hits, zip, zero, nada.  I began to rerig and had my Ned rig hanging below the boat in 45ft of water.  I would pick up the rod and give it a lift/fall action every now and then when BOOM !!  Got a heavy strike.  Set the hook and played the fish up to about 6-8 ft below the boat.  Saw the flash of white when the hook pulled out,  Bummer !   Dropped it back down and started getting small taps.  I set the hook with out result 4 or 5 times, with I finally connected, a 4 inch SMB.  After a quick release,  I dropped back down and let the rig hang there.  Got another vicious strike, set the hook, and played the fish to the boat.  It was an 18-20 inch ???  It had dark spots, silver scales, and Cutthroat slashes on the gills.  We wern't able to get a close examination as the line broke while trying to land it.    After that the wind began to pick up, the clouds began to thicken and we decided to head for the ramp.  Talked to another boat on the ramp and they had no luck either.  All in all it was  fun to get out, but was disappointed that the fish were not more cooperative  !!   Water temps stayed in the mid 50's through out the day and the inflow from the Weber was moderate, no full flow from the run off.
Sounds like a nice German Brown....there're some nicer ones in Rockport....
Don't think that it was a Brown, the body was too silver, no yellow ting on the body and no red in the spots.  Besides, never seen a brownie with red slashes on the underside gill plates like a cutt !  What ever it was, put up a good fight and was only 1 of 4 fish that we hooked all day !!