Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mill Hollow report
My grandkids wanted to go fishing really bad and had collected worms all week long so we ran up to Mill Hollow. The ice was still on but there were open areas along the shore. The kids had a blast catching fish all day until they got tired, the weather was perfect. We lost track of how many we caught but were able to leave plenty in the lake for others. We caught tigers, rainbows and brooks. When we were leaving the kids asked to clean their fish so we let them. The only downer to the day was a guy who chewed us out after he saw them gutting the fish and throwing the guts in the lake. He told them they were despicable and should be ashamed of themselves. He also told me that I could spend a month in jail for every time guts were thrown in the lake. I chose not to argue with him but wished I had my 2020 fishing guide book there. I would have shown him page 20 which clearly states that fish entrails should be put back in the lake. I'm not sure why some people choose to act that way.
(05-17-2020, 03:29 PM)JeepNut Wrote: My grandkids wanted to go fishing really bad and had collected worms all week long so we ran up to Mill Hollow. The ice was still on but there were open areas along the shore. The kids had a blast catching fish all day until they got tired, the weather was perfect. We lost track of how many we caught but were able to leave plenty in the lake for others. We caught tigers, rainbows and brooks. When we were leaving the kids asked to clean their fish so we let them. The only downer to the day was a guy who chewed us out after he saw them gutting the fish and throwing the guts in the lake. He told them they were despicable and should be ashamed of themselves. He also told me that I could spend a month in jail for every time guts were thrown in the lake. I chose not to argue with him but wished I had my 2020 fishing guide book there. I would have shown him page 20 which clearly states that fish entrails should be put back in the lake. I'm not sure why some people choose to act that way.

Great report, thanks for sharing it with us, sounds like the G kids had a great day, except for the end. You are a better man than me, there is no way I would not have gotten into that guys face and told him what is what, you got to feel sorry for anyone like that, who thinks it's OK to talk to kids like that.
Thanks for the report JeepNut. I love that place and haven't gotten to fish it for a long time. Maybe I could round up some grandkids and go. 
Last I checked we were still getting conflicting reports about what to do with fish entrails. I think it's perfectly fine to leave them in the water. I just wonder how I can do that so it isn't unsightly or offensive to anyone. Last year when I arrived at Lincoln Beach to do some bank fishing I encountered a disgusting scene. Someone had filleted a few catfish and left the carcasses in the shallow water near shore. That was not as bad as the carcasses someone encountered near the dock that had been filleted alive and were still "swimming". I guess if we give the guts a good heave-ho out into the water we would minimize the chance of offending anyone.
I have been spearheading our adoption of Lincoln Beach to keep it clear of litter. The other day there was a big carp lying on the shore of the little beach where the kids play in the sand. It had been hacked open to get fillets, evidently for bait. Seemed pretty rude to leave it there like that. I just realized that it might have washed ashore during the night. I usually pick up a little garbage each time I go and throw it in the back of my pickup. It would be helpful if the Utah County Parks would place a garbage can near there. It would also help a lot of us if they would place a porta potty there.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(05-19-2020, 02:29 PM)catchinon Wrote: Thanks for the report JeepNut. I love that place and haven't gotten to fish it for a long time. Maybe I could round up some grandkids and go. 
Last I checked we were still getting conflicting reports about what to do with fish entrails. I think it's perfectly fine to leave them in the water. I just wonder how I can do that so it isn't unsightly or offensive to anyone. Last year when I arrived at Lincoln Beach to do some bank fishing I encountered a disgusting scene. Someone had filleted a few catfish and left the carcasses in the shallow water near shore. That was not as bad as the carcasses someone encountered near the dock that had been filleted alive and were still "swimming". I guess if we give the guts a good heave-ho out into the water we would minimize the chance of offending anyone.
I have been spearheading our adoption of Lincoln Beach to keep it clear of litter. The other day there was a big carp lying on the shore of the little beach where the kids play in the sand. It had been hacked open to get fillets, evidently for bait. Seemed pretty rude to leave it there like that. I just realized that it might have washed ashore during the night. I usually pick up a little garbage each time I go and throw it in the back of my pickup. It would be helpful if the Utah County Parks would place a garbage can near there. It would also help a lot of us if they would place a porta potty there.
Page 20 of the fishing guide has the paragraph "Note Do not dispose of entrails and carcasses on the bank. Leave them in the water where you caught the fish". I know it looks ugly for a while but it does add nutrients to the water. Maybe folks just need to make sure they get them out deep enough.