Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White bass at UL 5/23/20
Didn't want to stick around the house all day yesterday, so made a trip with my son to UL for whities.  Started fishing about 2:30 at the State Park.  While the fish were apparently there days before, it looked like the storm the night before turned them off.  Dozens of people fishing but no one catching.  After 1.5 hours of this, we picked up and headed to the Lehi pumphouse.  While not fast and furious, we landed a dozen or so in a couple hours. Just enough to keep my son interested.  Best combo seemed to be a white 1/8 oz jig head with red_black eye and a chartreuse 2" single curly tail grub.

A question for the masses - are white bass sensitive to water temps once the spawn begins?  Better to fish early or wait till later once the water warms?  Indon't think it really matters too much, but wouldn't mind hearing other's thoughts.
Glad you found a few fish.  They can be shifty when the weather is playing games with water conditions...especially with the temperature.  The established spawning temp for white bass is around 65 degrees.  But they start grouping up and getting rowdy by about 60 degrees and get progressively more active with each degree afterward.  However, the opposite is true also.  If the temps suddenly drop a few degrees they will either move elsewhere or at least become a lot less active.  Once the water stays above 65 it can be wide open 24/7.  But during days when the temps are climbing from a point much below 65, the fishing will definitely improve later in the day after the sun warms the water.  I have seen it go from zero to whoopee after a mere one or two degree increase in temperature under current conditions.
Good to know Tube Dude, thanks for sharing. I'd be a little off after that storm too. Looking forward to getting my son on them this next week with the warmer temps!