Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's
I'm going to Henry's for the opening Saturday. My first time fishing opening day. Does anyone have any tips on what worked good last year? I will be trolling in my boat.
(05-21-2020, 03:34 PM)fast_randy Wrote: I'm going to Henry's for the opening Saturday. My first time fishing opening day. Does anyone have any tips on what worked good last year? I will be trolling in my boat.
Can't give you any tips but I will say good luck, hope you find a bunch of active fish.

Wow, the site is loading a lot faster today, maybe they got it fixed.
A rapala or other small spoon would probably be a good start.
The trick to a successful opener at Henrys is to stay home until tuesday. It always blows and snows all weekend long and then as soon as everyone else has to go home the weather and fishing become phenomenal!

Seriously though, if you aren't trolling flies or a night crawler I would try either Ford Fenders or Cowbells with a trailing panther martin or small spoon like a thomas buoyant. While you can catch some nice fish on some Rapalas the bite will be a lot slower for sticks than those trolling pop gear.
Thanks Don. I was thinking big black mepps and panther martins, and black and gold rapalas, but I was thinking Henry's was to shallow for pop gear. I have lots of it and will try some. I used to do great at Stawberry with pop gear and worm. I might try that. The weather sucks for Saturday. Now you have me thinking about waiting a day or two.
I have about 50 years of opening day experience in Island Park. The weather always sucks until tuesday! As far as pop gear goes, you have a several week window where the moss is down and pop gear with a panther martin or a night crawler is deadly!
Well, as I sit here this morning in my house near Shelley, I look out my window towards Taylor Mtn. and all i see right now is snow, yes snow coming down. It started about 15 minutes ago and starting to turn the yard white. OMG, but, what do you expect, right? When Memorial Day weekend is this early anything is possible, and even when it's a week later we could get snow, but, this is crazy.
The snow has me waiting a day or two. I have been excited to get out on opening day. When I grew up in Utah the season always opened on Memorial Saturday. And we always went fishing no matter what the weather was. But now I'm 67, I think I will wait.
Finally got to Henry's this morning. I launched at the State marina and first went down towards the dam. But there were no fish showing on the fish finder, so I headed over to the cliff's. Lots of fish on the finder, almost all right on the bottom, around 15 ft. deep. I tried silver popgear with, worm, rainbow rapala, black and gold rap, black and white rap, brook trout rap, with no luck. I did catch one on a big black mepps. And I tried anchoring and bait fishing with corn and night crawlers, and got one. Both cutbows under 2 lbs.
Thanks for the report Randy! Glad you got up there and gave it a go!