Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roanoke in Jamesville.
Thumbs Down 
Got a chance to hit the back swamps of this area. But the high water and wind sent me home early. You just can't find bass when their in the shallows above the bank. Weather here this spring has been crazy. If it's not cold and windy then it's raining. Memorial day in a few with temps in the 80's like it should be. I'm going to try the Chowan River next time out. Praise God we sold that house in 4 days. Now it's fishing time.  Smile
(05-21-2020, 04:04 PM)gdn443 Wrote: Got a chance to hit the back swamps of this area. But the high water and wind sent me home early. You just can't find bass when their in the shallows above the bank. Weather here this spring has been crazy. If it's not cold and windy then it's raining. Memorial day in a few with temps in the 80's like it should be. I'm going to try the Chowan River next time out. Praise God we sold that house in 4 days. Now it's fishing time.  Smile
Thanks for the report Gregg, sounds like the weather we have been having around here lately. Good luck on your next outing on the Chowan. Congrats on selling your house, is it the same one that you built you chicken condo at?
The heat slowed down a bit today, so I hit the swamp in Jamesville. Water temp was 85. I found some shade and few small bass on the drop offs. Black creature bait worked again. I swear they must breed those yellow flys down in that town. Off the water by 12 as it got into 90 degrees and humid. Come on Sept!!

(05-22-2020, 01:33 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 04:04 PM)gdn443 Wrote: Got a chance to hit the back swamps of this area. But the high water and wind sent me home early. You just can't find bass when their in the shallows above the bank. Weather here this spring has been crazy. If it's not cold and windy then it's raining. Memorial day in a few with temps in the 80's like it should be. I'm going to try the Chowan River next time out. Praise God we sold that house in 4 days. Now it's fishing time.  Smile
Thanks for the report Gregg, sounds like the weather we have been having around here lately. Good luck on your next outing on the Chowan. Congrats on selling your house, is it the same one that you built you chicken condo at?
No the condo is at the new house. Getting 8-10 eggs a day now out of the 12  girls. My butternut squash got nailed bad with vine borer's. But hopefully the sweet pumpkin will make up the difference. Second crop of beans are planted. Next week I'll do rudabackers as well. Cherokee red tomatoes were a waste. All split and broke open before 100 percent ripe. Live and learn.
It's been smoking hot here again this week, 100 degrees or hotter for several days now. Glad you were able to get out and do some fishing. What are those yellow fly's you are talking about? 
Wow that's enough eggs per day to keep anyone happy, unless they have a bunch of kids.
What kind of beans are you talking about, my Green beans last all season, until they get frosted in the Fall. I also grow those snow pea pods and I know they don't seem to last long, most of mind are done now too.
(08-01-2020, 11:35 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: It's been smoking hot here again this week, 100 degrees or hotter for several days now. Glad you were able to get out and do some fishing. What are those yellow fly's you are talking about? 
Wow that's enough eggs per day to keep anyone happy, unless they have a bunch of kids.
What kind of beans are you talking about, my Green beans last all season, until they get frosted in the Fall. I also grow those snow pea pods and I know they don't seem to last long, most of mind are done now too.

Yellow flys are the basterd child of horse flys.  Sad They come and go in early summer around martin county it seems like. Love to be near swamps. I plant bush green beans like Provider and due to the warm weather I can get 3 crops a year. Lost my pole beans in a thunder storm. Harvested number two crop of beans today and planted rudabagers. Tomatoes around  here did terrible for all our neighbors and me. Left the plants in to try and get some green ones later for relish. Watermelons, I've been picking this last two weeks. They did well. One thing I did learn this year as everything stops growing or flowering when it's 95- 100 degrees. Now that it's cooler it's started up again. Yea cooler 85 degrees LOL

We did have a cold spell come through last night, so it's only 80 today. Should be in the mid 80's next week with lower humidity. I hope to hit the river on friday.  Big Grin
(08-16-2020, 06:57 PM)gdn443 Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 11:35 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: It's been smoking hot here again this week, 100 degrees or hotter for several days now. Glad you were able to get out and do some fishing. What are those yellow fly's you are talking about? 

Yellow flys are the basterd child of horse flys.  Sad They come and go in early summer around martin county it seems like. Love to be near swamps. I plant bush green beans like Provider and due to the warm weather I can get 3 crops a year. Lost my pole beans in a thunder storm. Harvested number two crop of beans today and planted rudabagers. Tomatoes around  here did terrible for all our neighbors and me. Left the plants in to try and get some green ones later for relish. Watermelons, I've been picking this last two weeks. They did well. One thing I did learn this year as everything stops growing or flowering when it's 95- 100 degrees. Now that it's cooler it's started up again. Yea cooler 85 degrees LOL

We did have a cold spell come through last night, so it's only 80 today. Should be in the mid 80's next week with lower humidity. I hope to hit the river on friday.  Big Grin
Wow, there are flies that are worse than horse flies, I don't want to meet them. I've never tried bush beans but I always thought they were the same a pole beans, except for them not growing upwards. I have my pole beans growing up a dog run fence, that way I can pick both sides and they last until the frost hits them in the Fall. Ours do not stop or even slow growing with the heat but we have low humidity here and with a drip irrigation system, they are getting plenty of water, so that could make a difference. Here is a pic of my pole beans.

[Image: 100-3389.jpg]