Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trip to Deer Creek
Went down to Deer Creek for a few days with some of the family, felt good to get away after all this virus crap in the news. Our youngest daughter loves trout so that was first on the agenda, the first morning we trolled for several hrs. and her and our son picked up 7 nice rainbows and lost about as many and one quality fish, a nice walleye. My son and I stayed for another couple days and ended up with 13 walleyes that ran from 16-19 inches. We came home today but will head back down after the holiday for another 6 days, been a long time since I have fished Deer Creek but still love fishing there.[Image: Deer-Creek-19-May-2020.jpg]
(05-23-2020, 12:23 AM)PACKFAN Wrote: Went down to Deer Creek for a few days with some of the family, felt good to get away after all this virus crap in the news. Our youngest daughter loves trout so that was first on the agenda, the first morning we trolled for several hrs. and her and our son picked up 7 nice rainbows and lost about as many and one quality fish, a nice walleye. My son and I stayed for another couple days and ended up with 13 walleyes that ran from 16-19 inches. We came home today but will head back down after the holiday for another 6 days, been a long time since I have fished Deer Creek but still love fishing there.[Image: Deer-Creek-19-May-2020.jpg]
Nicely done Pete.
After the front and with the warming trend next week, the walleye should really start putting on the feed bag. I have been out a few times, in a tube and with a friend in his boat. I have caught a couple but it wasn't steady fishing. Some of the locals refer to the horse head that appears in the snow on the backside of Mount Timpanogos as a sign for the walleye madness to begin. Nice work.
Gabe
(05-23-2020, 01:04 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: After the front and with the warming trend next week, the walleye should really start putting on the feed bag. I have been out a few times, in a tube and with a friend in his boat. I have caught a couple but it wasn't steady fishing. Some of the locals refer to the horse head that appears in the snow on the backside of Mount Timpanogos as a sign for the walleye madness to begin. Nice work.
Gabe
I bought a new boat last week and want to try it out this afternoon.  Thought I’d hit Deercreek this evening.  What’s the best walleye lure you troll in your opinion?  Is there a better way to catch walleye? Thanks for any tips you can provide
Good to hear from deer creek, with the difficulties on BFT not many bother to report, thanks. I to find deer creek fun for fish with teeth. Can always catch slimmers but walleye are special. I had a good year last year but not tried yet this year, been on Willard and Jordannelle, be there next week for sure. What you riding in I'll watch for you. Mines a little humble tracker. Drop me a pm when you go I'll watch for you.
(05-23-2020, 01:22 PM)Orleansman Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 01:04 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: After the front and with the warming trend next week, the walleye should really start putting on the feed bag. I have been out a few times, in a tube and with a friend in his boat. I have caught a couple but it wasn't steady fishing. Some of the locals refer to the horse head that appears in the snow on the backside of Mount Timpanogos as a sign for the walleye madness to begin. Nice work.
Gabe
I bought a new boat last week and want to try it out this afternoon.  Thought I’d hit Deercreek this evening.  What’s the best walleye lure you troll in your opinion?  Is there a better way to catch walleye? Thanks for any tips you can provide
Perch or crayfish colored shad raps or worm harnesses work well.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(05-23-2020, 01:22 PM)Orleansman Wrote:
Gabe
I catch the majority of my walleye jigging. I am limited as to how I chase them from a float tube. Get yourself a sensitive rod, some minnow looking plastics, and some 1/8 ounce and 1/4 ounce jigheads. I catch everything that swims in Deer creek jigging soft plastics. I haven't scored any of those mudcats in Deer creek that way, but both brown and rainbow trout, largemouth and smallmouth bass, crappie, carp, and of course walleye. You need to build some confidence in your jigging abilities, but once you do, you can catch lots of walleye that way. The most difficult part is discerning the strike. At times it can be as simple as your line hesitates, a tick, or you just feel some weight other than the jig you are using. It is almost like a sixth sense, but once you have it, you will know. Good luck in your quest, and if you see a guy in an orange and grey fat cat float tube, it might just be me out chasing the walleye.  Gabe
For walleye at DC are you fishing off the bottom near the shore? Rocky bottom structures? Any tips on what type of structure to target?
(05-23-2020, 04:33 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Good to hear from deer creek, with the difficulties on BFT not many bother to report, thanks.  I to find deer creek fun for fish with teeth. Can always catch slimmers but walleye are special.  I had a good year last year but not tried yet this year, been on Willard and Jordannelle, be there next week for sure.  What you riding in I'll  watch for you.  Mines a little humble tracker.  Drop me a pm when you go I'll watch for you.
I run a 2000 Crestliner[Image: Crestliner-going-into-her-20th-season.jpg] with BFT stickers and VIETNAM VETERAN stickers on each side of the windshield. I was going to head back down on the 27th for a week but changed my plans and will be going up to Anderson Ranch Dam in idaho in a week and a half for Kokanee, will be headed back down to Deer Creek on the 28th for a few days.
(05-23-2020, 12:23 AM)PACKFAN Wrote: Went down to Deer Creek for a few days with some of the family, felt good to get away after all this virus crap in the news. Our youngest daughter loves trout so that was first on the agenda, the first morning we trolled for several hrs. and her and our son picked up 7 nice rainbows and lost about as many and one quality fish, a nice walleye. My son and I stayed for another couple days and ended up with 13 walleyes that ran from 16-19 inches. We came home today but will head back down after the holiday for another 6 days, been a long time since I have fished Deer Creek but still love fishing there.[Image: Deer-Creek-19-May-2020.jpg]

Great job buddy, spending some quality time with your family...

(05-26-2020, 02:08 AM)PACKFAN Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 04:33 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Good to hear from deer creek, with the difficulties on BFT not many bother to report, thanks.  I to find deer creek fun for fish with teeth. Can always catch slimmers but walleye are special.  I had a good year last year but not tried yet this year, been on Willard and Jordannelle, be there next week for sure.  What you riding in I'll  watch for you.  Mines a little humble tracker.  Drop me a pm when you go I'll watch for you.
I run a 2000 Crestliner[Image: Crestliner-going-into-her-20th-season.jpg] with BFT stickers and VIETNAM VETERAN stickers on each side of the windshield. I was going to head back down on the 27th for a week but changed my plans and will be going up to Anderson Ranch Dam in idaho in a week and a half for Kokanee, will be headed back down to Deer Creek on the 28th for a few days.

Have a great trip buddy. Wave at the farm when you drive by. My buddy has been getting some really nice fish at Anderson lately. Sent me a pic of a 4 pounder last week. 
Sunrise on the water
I have a good friend up in Mountain Home, who had a lot of success on Anderson for kokanee the last couple of days. Hope you're able to get in to them as well. I went up last year around this time and had a blast.
(05-26-2020, 04:23 PM)JArner Wrote: I have a good friend up in Mountain Home, who had a lot of success on Anderson for kokanee the last couple of days. Hope you're able to get in to them as well. I went up last year around this time and had a blast.
A friend and I went up toward the end of July last year and didn't do very well, the locals told us that we missed the big bite by a week or so, I did manage to catch a couple of small chinook mixed in with our kokanee which was neat. I just love fishing that lake, I was stationed at Mt. Home twice and always enjoyed my time there.