Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Trip
Got up at oh dark thirty yesterday morning and went to Manila.  Checked in at the Villa Inn about 8:30 And chatted with Dirk for a few minutes to get some updates.  Launched at Lucerne and headed up to the Rawlins area.  There were 4 boats in that area when I arrived.  I had my first line in the water at 9:55 AM.  At 10:25 AM I boated kokanee #1.  At 10:45 AM I boated kokanee #3.

The water was still smooth, so I headed over to the the Sheep Creek area to see if it was holding any Macs.  Trolled in that area until around 3 PM and never marked or caught a single fish.  Oh well.  Water was still smooth all the way back to the launch.  Here are a couple of pictures to mark the event.

The results

The tackle used

This morning I went over to Sheep Creek to launch and headed over to Hideout Bay.  I started at the campground buoys at around 7 AM.  By 7:30 AM, I had 2 in the boat.  Then it was a long dry spell until 10 AM when I finally put #3 in the boat.  It took about 5 lure changes to get the last one.  Here is the take.

I'll be back over there in early June to host some friends from Texas.  Fun trip and nice to bring home so good eats.  It will be even better if Wyoming and Utah come together on the limit increase from 3 kokanee up to 4 kokanee in 2022.

PS: I'm using MS Edge to post this and other than a few changes to the overall layout, BFT is loading normally and the speed is about par with all the other forums I visit regularly.
Sounds like you had a good trip Bob! Nice report.

Is that knife a rechargeable Bubba blade? if so I hadn't seen one before, do you like it?

Hope the Texan's have a great time in our Great State!
(05-23-2020, 01:18 AM)jjannie Wrote: Is that  knife a rechargeable Bubba blade? if so I hadn't seen one before, do you like it?

Hope the Texan's have a great time in our Great State!  I'm sure they will; this year will make 4 in a row.   Big Grin
As to the cordless Bubba knife, I can't say for sure yet - snide remarks removed by a moderator.  Cool

Seriously, the is a great tool.  It cuts better than any other electric knife I've ever used and better than almost any standard filet knife I've ever used.  It comes standard with 2 batteries, a charger, 4 different blade sets, and a very nice padded case to protect it all.  A bit pricey at over $100, but worth every single penny.  I would give it a 5-star rating for sure.
Nice catch Bob, I'm beginning to feel the kokes are starting to spread out in their summer grounds. I'm heading out 1day this week somewhere with my little fishing buddy. He finally got introduced last summer to the boat and it's internal activity. He loved checking out the fish when brought into the boat.
I have 3 filet knives with the recent purchase of a Cutco extendable blade. I really like this one. Now I have an interest in that Bubba electric you have. The handle doesn't appear to be a bulky as others which is a good feature.
Also using MS Edge and it working great.   
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(05-23-2020, 02:12 PM)Bduck Wrote: Nice catch Bob, I'm beginning to feel the kokes are starting to spread out in their summer grounds. I'm heading out 1day this week somewhere with my little fishing buddy. He finally got introduced last summer to the boat and it's internal activity. He loved checking out the fish when brought into the boat.
I have 3 filet knives with the recent purchase of a Cutco extendable blade. I really like this one. Now I have an interest in that Bubba electric you have. The handle doesn't appear to be a bulky as others which is a good feature.
Also using MS Edge and it working great.   
Actually, the handle on that Bubba Electric is a little on the robust side, but feels great in my hands.  The trigger is way more comfortable to use than any other electric I've ever used and I don't lose control of it while I maneuver the blade through the fish.  I used it all last ice season to clean several hundred perch and it was very easy to use.  The four blade sets will cover any fish species you're likely to find in Utah, but I haven't used it yet on a wiper.  My two Bubba filet knives are not get much attention or use since I got the electric Bubba.
I bought a 9" Buck filet knife, my son found an extendable Schrade filet knife giving it to me, and now my latest is the Cutco. I'm ready to move on to the easy side
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Nice report Bob, glad you were able to bring home some good eats.