Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry yesterday
Went out on Strawberry yesterday.  Good fishing -- trolling for Cutthroats.  In my memory (6 years in Utah), it seems like Strawberry was the best it has ever been last year and is on pace to be very good this year as well.  The average fish was 15 inches, and the best was about 20.

I'm trying to learn to troll for Kokanee.  However even when I got set up for salmon, we still just caught trout.  I grew up in AZ bass fishing and in Idaho fly fishing rivers, so it is disorienting to me to fish open water.  My goal is to figure out how to catch a salmon this year.  I don't have downriggers, so am trying to do it with three way rigs.  I appreciate everyone's helpful posts here with information, so I feel like I have some good leads.  

I then stopped by the Strawberry River below the dam. Last week I picked up an nice brown there on a baetis emerger without trying too hard. This week my minimal effort yielded nothing but a few refusals.  I tried for a few minutes to upload the picture of last week's fish, but I've given up.  Next time.

Since this is descending into a post about everything, one more note: I stopped of at the Provo River just above the lake and found the white bass were still there in droves.  I feel they're a bit later this year than before, especially for such density and numbers.  Maybe a few cool days earlier in the month has pushed the spawning period back a bit?
If you're fishing for Kokanee at Strawberry you will catch Cutts. As the water warms and the Kokes start to bit you are bound to catch some, Just keep at it.
(05-24-2020, 12:38 AM)elkantlers Wrote: If you're fishing for Kokanee at Strawberry you will catch Cutts. As the water warms and the Kokes start to bit you are bound to catch some, Just keep at it.
True that!  I have never fished Strawberry for kokanee without catching a cutthroat trout or 20.  It is always going to be part of the experience up there.  It keeps the 'skunk' at bay.   Big Grin   

PS: I sent you an email last week EA.  Never heard back from you.  Are we good?
agree with what everyone has said you have to weed thru trout to get the kokes and without downriggers it'll be more of challenge. You may want to also look into trying snap weights to get your bait to where the kokes are, adjusting the amount of line you put out with your speed to get it to a certain depth - I think the snap weights give you a chart about this or maybe you can find one online.
you say (Good fishing -- trolling for Cutthroats]   boy are you right.
the other day had my wife there. It was cold and windy, we did not stay to long had to get her of the water.
If we had of stayed it would have been a 100 fish day.  it was no fun for me because I was after kokanee
was catching them just letting line out and on the downrigger going down to 60 feet to get away from them would still catch them down there