Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memorial Day
Greatest respect to all those that have given ALL in defense of this nation. 

[Image: 97633594-1189293588129416-9062611097432883200-o.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Just over 2yrs ago I took a long drive AFDan on Dec 28, 2017 routing up Hi40 to Vernal coming out to Manila onto I80 to home. We checked out a few lakes , the scenery, but one thing that stood out was the war memorial that was built at Duchesne. We stopped off for a bit to study this history. There was this little girl with her dog also visiting the site. I noticed on 2 of the plaques with names she ran her hand over a couple names. That's when I asked her if she knew anyone on those plaques she replied yes. She pointed to the first name on the Korean War plaque and said it was her grandfather. The 2nd name was on the Vietnam War plaque was her uncle. As we were looking at the names she pointed to we found that last name also on the other war plaques a total of 11 entries. Such a large sacrifice for one family. 

[Image: Duchesne-Memorial-1.jpg] [Image: Duchesne-Memorial-2.jpg] [Image: Duchesne-Memorial-3.jpg] [Image: Duchesne-Memorial-4.jpg] [Image: Duchesne-Memorial-5.jpg] [Image: Duchesne-Memorial-6.jpg] [Image: Duchesne-Memorial-7.jpg]
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
you guys are making me cry 
I had two fathers that was in World War II. My real father  He came home to die.
My mother remarried another  World War II veteran, he raised me ( loved him alot.)
he lived with me the last 10 years of his life he died in December at 99

I had the opportunity to visit war memorials across Washington, D.C. as part of the Utah Honor Flight. for World War II veterans
I took my Dad on this, here is a Video, I will never forget this. going through air ports people would line up for us, the way we felt is hard to tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7j25847oWY
(05-25-2020, 01:50 PM)liketrolling Wrote: you guys are making me cry 
I had two fathers that was in World War II. My real father  He came home to die.
My mother remarried another  World War II veteran, he raised me ( loved him alot.)

I had the opportunity to visit war memorials across Washington, D.C. as part of the Utah Honor Flight. for World War II veterans
I took my Dad on this, here is a Video, I will never forget this. going through air ports people would line up for us, the way we felt is hard to tell.

That was a 4-tissue video Robert.  It may be hard to tell, but not hard at all to feel.  God Bless you.
My father was married with 1 child (my oldest sister) and the day after 7 Dec 1941, he tried to enlist. He was told he was too old, and was placed on a list that would be the very last to be called up when and if needed. He didn't like that answer. His 2 older brothers were both Navy, one during WWI, one on active duty when Pearl Harbor was attacked. So he went to the Merchant Marine Union Hall and joined. He spent the remaining almost 4 years of WWII on a "coaster" up and down the US west coast. Never involved in any action. When Reagan was President, by executive order he declared all Coast Guardsmen as equal to the other 4 US Military Services. And since during time of war, the Merchant Marine falls under the control of the Coast Guard, my father obtained veteran status.  He is buried in Riverside National in California. 

[Image: 01-My-Dad-T-J-Corn-Merchant-Marine-Coast-Guard-1944.jpg]      [Image: 008-Dad-s-Merchant-Marine-Cert.jpg]  [Image: 008-Dad-s-Grave-site-1996.jpg]

There has been a man from my family involved in just about every conflict since the Barbary Pirates, all Navy. But the only one that I know of that was KIA, was a cousin in Vietnam. Jack A. Corn. Never met him, don't know the details of his service. But I did find his name on the Vietnam Wall back in 1990. I did a Staff Assistance Team Visit to the 113th FW ANG at Andrews and had a day to make a fast tourist trip thru D.C.  

[Image: 088a-Vietnam-Memorial-Wall-1990.jpg]
 This was in Sept 1990, just after the Iraq invasion of Kuwait, and just as Desert Shield was starting.  Since Desert Storm and up to today, I have seen the lines of total strangers lined up in airports to honor our troops as they return home. 
It sure is different from 1973 when I first enlisted.  It was strongly recommended to us (USAF) if we were traveling on commercial air, to travel in civilian clothes. 

I have been blessed to have served 20 years on active duty, and have a son that served in USAF also. We both came out without any physical damage from enemy forces.  

Would we do it again ?  In a heart beat.   So today has been, is, and always will be a day we will remember and honor those that gave all, and many who are still "missing" 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I can't say that I served because I didn't my body and health would not allow. But my in-laws, whether it be my father in -law or 3 of the 5 brother in laws all served in navy. I'm very proud of them and on this day I want to thank all of those that served. Stories of soldiers and our Flag choke me up every time. I love having a veteran in the convenience store when I go so I can pick up their tab and thank them. You all are a great inspiration to me and truly are heroes.
My real father was a tail gunner in a airplane
he never would tell My mother anything he would not let her know  what he did.

Talking to my mother she went through hell.  So it wasn't  just the people fighting, It was there loved ones to.
(05-25-2020, 01:50 PM)liketrolling Wrote: you guys are making me cry 

Thank you for sharing that Robert.
Two of my uncles died in WWII before I was born. Both my mother and father were Army in that war, and that's how they met. Dad drove a supply truck in the Battle of the Bulge. My brother and I were both Air Force, and I did a full 23-year career, mostly Reserves. All military people have lost friends, classmates, or family, and I'm no exception. Their memories live on and they all get a strong drink toast facing West on Memorial Day. To paraphrase a famous poem...

All of our tomorrows have come because they sacrificed their todays.