Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay
I’ve got a couple Willard Bay questions, I’ve read a couple times on here that people are using downriggers to drag worm harnesses and finding a excess for both Walleye and Wiper. I’m just wondering how much line your letting out behind the downrigger and what speeds to try? thanks in advance
let out what ever you want, but if you want to make sharp turns, when you see them on the fishfinder and want to get back to  them fast 
20 to 30 feet setback will work.  speed 1.5 mph,  not sure about this but this is what I think, If  the ball is close to the bottom and your Release Clip is 1.5 feet long your lure will be about 1 foot of the bottom, (if it is not a diving lure, just goes for worm harnesses )  I see fish look at the ball so not sure if the ball bothers them
Your riggers will work but you might consider buying some 2oz. Bottom bouncing rigs you let them out until you feel them hit the bottom then let out several more feet the faster the speed the more set back, 1.5mph is a good starting point last year in June we where catching them at 2.5mph as the water warmed.
I much prefer using my DR and my setback is usually about 30 feet back.  But I never make sharp turns.  I use 8 lb stick weights and set them within 1 foot of the bottom.  Works for me.   Big Grin
(05-25-2020, 02:57 AM)impactfisherman Wrote: I’ve got a couple Willard Bay questions, I’ve read a couple times on here that people are using downriggers to drag worm harnesses and finding a excess for both Walleye and Wiper. I’m just wondering how much line your letting out behind the downrigger and what speeds to try? thanks in advance
I have been doing it for years, sometimes it's hot sometimes its not.