Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pretty good day at Lincoln Beach 5-21-20
On Thursday morning I went to LB. The water temperature started at 58° and rose to 62° by the time I left around 3:30. I was concerned that the little storm the night before might have put the cats off their feed. Not so. I caught 19 (number 97 for the year) and the 19th one was the biggest fish I ever caught.

I had brought five different kinds of bait and they liked them all. They included white bass, two variations of strawberry chicken, shrimp, and pork. I used my usual Santee rig and FLAIT. Later in the day I gave the FLAIT away to a big cat that didn't want to come to the boat. Dang! Well, now was my chance to try one of TDs big fligs in fire tiger pattern. It worked great, and as I said, it caught on every kind of bait I had. Around 3:00 I had a big piece of my special strawberry chicken variant on the flig when a heavy fish hit. As I got it up near the boat I couldn't get it to come up. Every time I tried to hoist it it took off, taking drag. Finally I got it up enough that I could see how big it was. I had gotten a fish earlier this year that I was sure was a 30"er that turned out to only be 29 and 7/8. I thought this one might actually make it to the magical 30" mark but I didn't want to say it for fear I would be wrong. He got around to the stern corner and I couldn't get him to come to the side of the boat so I could net him. I had to reach as far as I could to get him in the net and then I almost lost the whole shebang. Once I got him in the net I had to lever it over the side. He was definitely the heaviest fish I ever caught. When I got him on the tape he stretched to the 30.5" mark. Well, that goal was met. I put it in the live well and fished a little longer but I just had to get back to the dock and see if I could get a good picture of it. When I docked I asked another fisherman there if he had a scale; he did and let me borrow it. The fish was over 12 pounds. About that time a DWR boat came to the dock. The three-person crew had been out netting june suckers. I showed them the big cat and one of the guys offered to take a trophy shot for me. (Thanks, Shawn). That put a crown on one of the best days I ever had fishing, if not the very best.

[Image: TP6A4188.jpg]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(05-26-2020, 06:31 AM)catchinon Wrote: On Thursday morning I went to LB. The water temperature started at 58° and rose to 62° by the time I left around 3:30. I was concerned that the little storm the night before might have put the cats off their feed. Not so. I caught 19 (number 97 for the year) and the 19th one was the biggest fish I ever caught.

I had brought five different kinds of bait and they liked them all. They included white bass, two variations of strawberry chicken, shrimp, and pork. I used my usual Santee rig and FLAIT. Later in the day I gave the FLAIT away to a big cat that didn't want to come to the boat. Dang! Well, now was my chance to try one of TDs big fligs in fire tiger pattern. It worked great, and as I said, it caught on every kind of bait I had. Around 3:00 I had a big piece of my special strawberry chicken variant on the flig when a heavy fish hit. As I got it up near the boat I couldn't get it to come up. Every time I tried to hoist it it took off, taking drag. Finally I got it up enough that I could see how big it was. I had gotten a fish earlier this year that I was sure was a 30"er that turned out to only be 29 and 7/8. I thought this one might actually make it to the magical 30" mark but I didn't want to say it for fear I would be wrong. He got around to the stern corner and I couldn't get him to come to the side of the boat so I could net him. I had to reach as far as I could to get him in the net and then I almost lost the whole shebang. Once I got him in the net I had to lever it over the side. He was definitely the heaviest fish I ever caught. When I got him on the tape he stretched to the 30.5" mark. Well, that goal was met. I put it in the live well and fished a little longer but I just had to get back to the dock and see if I could get a good picture of it. When I docked I asked another fisherman there if he had a scale; he did and let me borrow it. The fish was over 12 pounds. About that time a DWR boat came to the dock. The three-person crew had been out netting june suckers. I showed them the big cat and one of the guys offered to take a trophy shot for me. (Thanks, Shawn). That put a crown on one of the best days I ever had fishing, if not the very best.

[Image: TP6A4188.jpg]

That's sounds like a great day off fishing. Congrats on a monster cat.
Well done Craig. It sounds like the kitties are finally reaching their comfort zone to become more active feeders. Probably bulking up for a strenuous season of love. 
I'm headed that way now (5:45 a.m.) so I hope you saved a few for me. Should be a good day today, too.
Watch for my 30+er post.
Lynn
Just checked the wind report and it should be excellent all day. Soon as I take care of the dogs and round up some bait I'll be on my way. See you on the water.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Sounds like a pretty fliggin' good day.  Congrats on the 30 plus.

PS...the price just went up on the fligs.
Well, I'm going to need some. I don't care if it costs 10 times what the last ones did ;-). I guess it was a pale perch I was using but I lost it yesterday. I put on a for-sure fire-tiger but didn't catch anything on it--not a fair test as the fish weren't biting anything. But if you can PM me and verify that color I would appreciate it.

Great report Craig and congrats on the big cat, sounds like it tuned out to be a great day.
(05-27-2020, 01:11 PM)catchinon Wrote: Well, I'm going to need some. I don't care if it costs 10 times what the last ones did ;-). I guess it was a pale perch I was using but I lost it yesterday. I put on a for-sure fire-tiger but didn't catch anything on it--not a fair test as the fish weren't biting anything. But if you can PM me and verify that color I would appreciate it.
I seem to recall you got the latest edition of the pale perch...the chartreuse perch.  It has a line of chartreuse down the side and that minor difference seems to really appeal to the fishies.  It works well both at Willard and at Utah Lake.  Here is a pic of the best "flavors"...including both the chartreuse perch and the fire tiger.

[Image: GORILLA-BIG-RED.jpg]
I had to look up some new to me terms from the OP

FLAIT = floating bait ( I got redirected back to a BFT post for the definition Smile )
Santee = three way or barrel swivel rig with weight and float ( seems there are many variations )

All that being said, I'd like to see some photos of the setup if anyone has some. The pictures from the old days did not survive the transition.

TubeDude, what's the going rate for a couple of those fligs in good Willard Bay colors?

/Jim
TD, the one I had seemed to have white markings on the side where the fire tiger has black and the chartreuse perch has green ones. PM me with prices and etc.

JArner, I'll try to get a photo of several different rigs I have been using. Pisco's FLAIT has been very good too. Those three are about all I have been using.