Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard So. Marina 5-28-20
Met up early with fellow tuber Lee for a morning dunk.  Air temp 50 at launch and water temp 66.  One degree over my minimum temp for going waderless...which I did for the first time this year.

Dragged some crawler harness rigs...using my new "Snarl Fligs" and crawlers.  Nothing voted for them in the channel...or for quite a ways outside.  Didn't see much on sonar to get excited about.  Kept moving and grooving.  Lee stayed in shallower water and scored a couple of catfish before I got any love in deeper water.  After changing rigs, weights, drop back distance and speed a few times...to find a magic formula...I finally went bendo.  An 18" wiper voted for one of my silver and blue Snarl Flig rigs...with a small minnow on the hook.    Then nothing for another hour.

Finally had my other snarl flig rig get smashed...by a 20" wiper.  Fun Fun.  The skunk had definitely been evicted.
Had a couple of other light whacks...by who knows what?  Kept moving around in deeper water...on both sides of 21 feet.  Saw only a few fishy marks and none of them seemed to have their mouths open.  As the sun climbed higher and the boat traffic began to increase the rod with the pale perch snarl flig took a dive again.  This time it turned out to be my solo kitty for the day.  Fought hard though...even taking some line off the drag.  Love those cats when they get warmed up a bit and have some attitude.

Made an early day of it.  Saw quite a few rock hoppers and bank tanglers on the rock point at the mouth of the harbor.  But didn't see anyone catch anything while I was watching.  Nice day for social distancing on the rocks though.

When Lee and I met up back at the ramp he said he had caught 4 cats...4 more than on our last trip.  More better.  Also chatted with one of the Willard pros just coming in at the same time.  He and his boatmate had scored 15 walleyes in one of his honey holes...some rare Willard Bay fish-holding structure.  Water temps just gotta go over 70 real soon.  Then look out for all the guys trolling cranks at mach 5...and catching more wipers.
[Image: LAUNCHTIME.jpg][Image: LEE-LAUNCHING.jpg][Image: FIRST-WIPER.jpg][Image: SECOND-WIPER.jpg][Image: SNARL-FLIG-KITTY.jpg][Image: BANK-TANGLERS.jpg][Image: 2-PLUS-1.jpg]
Good job on the wipers. Bet that was fun in your tube.
(05-28-2020, 08:13 PM)fish_fear_me2 Wrote: Good job on the wipers. Bet that was fun in your tube.
All a matter of perspective.  Probably more fun for me than the wipers.  But they did get to participate in a great weight-loss program at the fillet station.
Those new trinkets of yours got their attention. Smile

Way to go. 
3 of my cats were on the pale perch worm harness and the other one ate a purple flig with a piece of crawler. All were in bout 12 ft of water. The chop outside the bay was perfect for me. Enough to wiggle the bait but not so much you had to fight it. Sure glad I had my head net with me today. All were bout this size today.[Image: DSCN2874.jpg]
Good on both of ya. Looks like some good fish tacos coming.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(05-28-2020, 09:00 PM)gofish435 Wrote: Those new trinkets of yours got their attention. Smile

Way to go. 
Thanks.  Gotta take some over and introduce them to those Starvy denizens.  Liked your last report.  Looks like that lake might come back to life.

(05-28-2020, 10:30 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Good on both of ya. Looks like some good fish tacos coming.
Love fish tacos.  But had "surf and surf" tonight with wipers...oven baked fillets with shrimp on top.  Tomorrow will be catfish scampi on noodles.

(05-28-2020, 09:41 PM)lee! Wrote: 3 of my cats were on the pale perch worm harness and the other one ate a purple flig with a piece of crawler. All were in bout 12 ft of water. The chop outside the bay was perfect for me. Enough to wiggle the bait but not so much you had to fight it. Sure glad I had my head net with me today. All were bout this size today.[Image: DSCN2874.jpg]
Yep.  This time of year Willard gets buggy.  Saw a few skeeters early but the cloud of little white midges that hatched out later were just a mite pestiferous.  I made good use of my head net for a while too.  Not good enough for a Covid Crud mask, but it kept the little buggers out of my eyes, ears and mouth.  And as far apart as we fished from each other I think we were safe on social distancing.
I think we were safe. At least from each other. Been a while since I been among that many boats in a float tube, but everyone was cool and respectful.
Nice work Pat. Let me know when you want to float Deer creek again. I will be launching there at 630 ish tomorrow morning to kick around in the tube from the Charleston launch. The horse head that appears in the snow on the back of Timpanogas is now visible, which means the walleye bite should be on now. 
Gabe
(05-29-2020, 12:18 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: Nice work Pat. Let me know when you want to float Deer creek again. I will be launching there at 630 ish tomorrow morning to kick around in the tube from the Charleston launch. The horse head that appears in the snow on the back of Timpanogas is now visible, which means the walleye bite should be on now. 
Gabe
Word has it that those "in the know" have already been scoring lotsa walleyes...up to 28".  But they ain't bottom bouncing out on the flats.  Not sure Deer Creek is on my dance card for the next little while.  But I'm sure that my masochistic side will see me making the journey over to Starvation by July.  Maybe we can meet up again.
(05-29-2020, 01:56 AM)TubeDude Wrote:
(05-29-2020, 12:18 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: Nice work Pat. Let me know when you want to float Deer creek again. I will be launching there at 630 ish tomorrow morning to kick around in the tube from the Charleston launch. The horse head that appears in the snow on the back of Timpanogas is now visible, which means the walleye bite should be on now. 
Gabe
Word has it that those "in the know" have already been scoring lotsa walleyes...up to 28".  But they ain't bottom bouncing out on the flats.  Not sure Deer Creek is on my dance card for the next little while.  But I'm sure that my masochistic side will see me making the journey over to Starvation by July.  Maybe we can meet up again.
We haven't caught any that big, I sure hope they are turning those big gals back to the water. we sailed passed you this morning on our way back toward the North marina about 10 or so  we were in search of catfish this morning, we played with the walleye yesterday, lots of boats on the water this morning.
(05-29-2020, 02:39 AM)PACKFAN Wrote:
Gabe
We haven't caught any that big, I sure hope they are turning those big gals back to the water. we sailed passed you this morning on our way back toward the North marina about 10 or so  we were in search of catfish this morning, we played with the walleye yesterday, lots of boats on the water this morning.
The guys that have been doing well are seasoned wallie whackers. They believe in keeping the smaller fish for the table and releasing the big spawner mamas.  And, lest there be any misunderstanding, they ain't gettin' all that many bigguns.  Good to hear you are getting out and practicing some unsocial distancing with the fishies.  Hope Lady B. is doing well.
(05-28-2020, 08:01 PM)YTubeDude Wrote: Met up early with fellow tuber Lee for a morning dunk.  Air temp 50 at launch and water temp 66.  One degree over my minimum temp for going waderless...which I did for the first time this year.

Dragged some crawler harness rigs...using my new "Snarl Fligs" and crawlers.  Nothing voted for them in the channel...or for quite a ways outside.  Didn't see much on sonar to get excited about.  Kept moving and grooving.  Lee stayed in shallower water and scored a couple of catfish before I got any love in deeper water.  After changing rigs, weights, drop back distance and speed a few times...to find a magic formula...I finally went bendo.  An 18" wiper voted for one of my silver and blue Snarl Flig rigs...with a small minnow on the hook.    Then nothing for another hour.

Finally had my other snarl flig rig get smashed...by a 20" wiper.  Fun Fun.  The skunk had definitely been evicted.
Had a couple of other light whacks...by who knows what?  Kept moving around in deeper water...on both sides of 21 feet.  Saw only a few fishy marks and none of them seemed to have their mouths open.  As the sun climbed higher and the boat traffic began to increase the rod with the pale perch snarl flig took a dive again.  This time it turned out to be my solo kitty for the day.  Fought hard though...even taking some line off the drag.  Love those cats when they get warmed up a bit and have some attitude.

Made an early day of it.  Saw quite a few rock hoppers and bank tanglers on the rock point at the mouth of the harbor.  But didn't see anyone catch anything while I was watching.  Nice day for social distancing on the rocks though.

When Lee and I met up back at the ramp he said he had caught 4 cats...4 more than on our last trip.  More better.  Also chatted with one of the Willard pros just coming in at the same time.  He and his boatmate had scored 15 walleyes in one of his honey holes...some rare Willard Bay fish-holding structure.  Water temps just gotta go over 70 real soon.  Then look out for all the guys trolling cranks at mach 5...and catching more wipers.
[Image: LAUNCHTIME.jpg][Image: LEE-LAUNCHING.jpg][Image: FIRST-WIPER.jpg][Image: SECOND-WIPER.jpg][Image: SNARL-FLIG-KITTY.jpg][Image: BANK-TANGLERS.jpg][Image: 2-PLUS-1.jpg]

Love to see you have success, Pat.
(05-29-2020, 03:49 AM)TubeDude Wrote:
Gabe
The guys that have been doing well are seasoned wallie whackers. They believe in keeping the smaller fish for the table and releasing the big spawner mamas.  And, lest there be any misunderstanding, they ain't gettin' all that many bigguns.  Good to hear you are getting out and practicing some unsocial distancing with the fishies.  Hope Lady B. is doing well.
Lady B. is not doing so well I'm afraid her hunting and fishing days are about over, I miss her not being able to go out with me much anymore weather it be on a lake fishing or in the field hunting, thank you for asking.
Great job Pat. I'm about to load the tube on the truck and go hike the dike on the west side. Might be a little early, but you don't know if you don't go.
(05-29-2020, 01:59 PM)FatBiker Wrote: Great job Pat. I'm about to load the tube on the truck and go hike the dike on the west side. Might be a little early, but you don't know if you don't go.
Good luck.  The trolling contingent has been doing well to the west.  Cats are just coming in to the rocks for spawning and wipers have finished their annual fruitless frolicking.  Walleyes have been active and there are also some smallies showing up.  You just might do well.

I was thinking about you yesterday.  If you are ready to hike and dike your knee must be doing okay.

(05-29-2020, 12:51 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:
(05-29-2020, 03:49 AM)TubeDude Wrote:
Gabe
Lady B. is not doing so well I'm afraid her hunting and fishing days are about over, I miss her not being able to go out with me much anymore weather it be on a lake fishing or in the field hunting, thank you for asking.
So sorry to hear that.  I can definitely empathize.  I think I told you about my wife's medical issues last year.  They have left her unable to carry on as "TubeBabe".  But she is doing much better even though float tubing is no longer in her future.  It's tough when you lose a fishing buddy...especially when it is a close family member.
(05-28-2020, 08:01 PM)TubeDude Wrote: WONDERING WHY YOU POSTED A REPORT FROM FEB 28th that would be old new water seemed warm for Feb 

LOL Got ya !! You are famouse for busting chops so there you go.
Love Mildog Smile

Met up early with fellow tuber Lee for a morning dunk.  Air temp 50 at launch and water temp 66.  One degree over my minimum temp for going waderless...which I did for the first time this year.

time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(05-29-2020, 03:11 PM)Mildog Wrote:
(05-28-2020, 08:01 PM)TubeDude Wrote: WONDERING WHY YOU POSTED A REPORT FROM FEB 28th that would be old new water seemed warm for Feb 

LOL Got ya !! You are famouse for busting chops so there you go.
Love Mildog Smile

Aha!  You picked up on that error I purposely put into my post...just to give you something to pounce on.  A mere slip of the digits.  And while we are busting chops...whyn'tcha check your spelling on "famouse".
Thanks as always for a great write up, I've been wanting to get out to Willard again. Might need to take a mid week trip, and hopefully avoid the power squad.
(05-29-2020, 04:08 PM)JArner Wrote: Thanks as always for a great write up, I've been wanting to get out to Willard again. Might need to take a mid week trip, and hopefully avoid the power squad.
Good luck with that.  We went on a Thursday...usually light traffic.  But by the time we came in at noon there were more boat trailers at the south marina than I think I have ever seen...even on weekends.  All the Covid cooped-ups are getting out and recreating.  

But there is one guarantee I can make.  You will have more fun and likely catch more fish if you go than if you stay home and wish you were fishin'.  Pretty sharp for an old guy, huh?