Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach Shoreline Adoption
I got a call from Sam at the Utah Lake Commission checking up on how we are doing cleaning up at Lincoln Beach. All I could tell him was that we are picking up what we can as we go (and I have the trash in the bed of my pickup to prove it). We are supposed to have three organized group cleanup days per year. I explained that we really only have a few regulars who fish there and that many of our members are up north and scattered over the state. He said that they have people who want to get involved and he could shunt some our way if we want. What are your thoughts? Who all can help out? Which direction do you want us to go in?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I am OK doing a couple days and I have one boy that can legally do it and if it falls right my wife will help. Just let me know what you need. With all the r ruckus and campfires on the end the north dike I'm sure there is a bunch of trash down there. I haven't been down there lately as my back isn't the best but unless someone has been down there cleaning I'm sure it's littered.....
Okay, we started a discussion on this subject before the old forum went kablooie.  I wanted to toss out the potential for a group project to open up the launch potential at the old ramps at the "L".  Used to be a great place for launching toons and tubes...and yaks.  But during the years when it was off limits they silted in and are now blocked by phragmites.   However, it wouldn't take much to clean out the small blockage and improve user access in that area.  Here are a couple of pictures...1 from former times and 1 from a recent trip showing the vegetation blockage
.[Image: L-LAUNCH.jpg][Image: L-LAUNCH-RAMP.jpg]
(05-29-2020, 11:21 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Okay, we started a discussion on this subject before the old forum went kablooie.  I wanted to toss out the potential for a group project to open up the launch potential at the old ramps at the "L".  Used to be a great place for launching toons and tubes...and yaks.  But during the years when it was off limits they silted in and are now blocked by phragmites.   However, it wouldn't take much to clean out the small blockage and improve user access in that area.  Here are a couple of pictures...1 from former times and 1 from a recent trip showing the vegetation blockage

where is this "L" ramp ?
(05-30-2020, 12:43 AM)soceye Wrote:
(05-29-2020, 11:21 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Okay, we started a discussion on this subject before the old forum went kablooie.  I wanted to toss out the potential for a group project to open up the launch potential at the old ramps at the "L".  Used to be a great place for launching toons and tubes...and yaks.  But during the years when it was off limits they silted in and are now blocked by phragmites.   However, it wouldn't take much to clean out the small blockage and improve user access in that area.  Here are a couple of pictures...1 from former times and 1 from a recent trip showing the vegetation blockage

where is this "L" ramp ?
The L is just west of Lincoln Point.  See the attached maps.  Until it was recently acquired by Utah County, most of the Lincoln Point area was private property and closed to public access.
.[Image: LINCOLN-POINT-ACQUISITION.jpg][Image: L-HIGH-WATER.jpg][Image: LINCOLN-POINT-LABELED.jpg]

image hosting websites
Pat, I've been thinking about that a lot as I've been trolling past there. I'm all for it. How do we start that ball rolling? What would it take to make it possible for fishing boats to launch there?;imagine how nice it would be to avoid all the Power Squadron when launching/loading. How deep is the channel?

And while we're in this area, would the Cat House be under water now and if so how could one locate it without having one's boat bite it?

Love your graphics. Just for clarification: where it says Posted No Access on the satellite image is actually the part that was recently purchased, right?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(05-30-2020, 11:52 AM)catchinon Wrote: Pat, I've been thinking about that a lot as I've been trolling past there. I'm all for it. How do we start that ball rolling? What would it take to make it possible for fishing boats to launch there?;imagine how nice it would be to avoid all the Power Squadron when launching/loading. How deep is the channel?

And while we're in this area, would the Cat House be under water now and if so how could one locate it without having one's boat bite it?

Love your graphics. Just for clarification: where it says Posted No Access on the satellite image is actually the part that was recently purchased, right?
First of all, I am not advocating opening the small ramps to all boat traffic...to take pressure off the main ramp.  My idea is to create something like the PWC ramp at Jordanelle...for small watercraft only.  The ramps location, access, size and condition are not favorable for today's large boats.

At today's water levels, the depth in the channel is probably comparable to that in the main launch ramp channel...about 6-7 feet.  But at extreme low water there is usually still enough depth to launch tubes and toons without too much danger...and to make it out to the best fishing.

As you surmised, the area on the old map labeled "Posted No Access" has since been acquired by the county and is in the planning stages for some great remodeling.  In order to undertake our own phrag removal project, we would probably need to get the approval (if not the blessing...or assistance) from Utah County.  The water depth where the vegetation has rooted is probably not more than 2-3 feet deep.  A few guys with shovels could do it.  But a Bobcat would be faster and better.

I know Sam Braegger, of the Utah Lake Commission, fairly well.  But with your connection as the head of our area adoption program for Lincoln Beach, you would probably be the best person to contact Sam about our anticipated project.  With his knowledge of the county commissioners he may be able to make suggestions or contacts to help get the ball rolling.  Once we have the okay we can organize a phrag party to clean out those old ramps and restore access to us "floatation fishing" types.

Attaching some pics to help visually with locating the potentially hazardous rocks at the mouth of the L.  If you don't have them on GPS they are hard to find at high water...except with your prop.  It is good to know where they are and move slowly around them...with an eye on the sonar.  They come up fast off the bottom, so using sound to locate them is not a good idea.
[Image: L-AT-LOW-TIDE-2.jpg][Image: L-AT-LOW-TIDE.jpg][Image: L-MOUTH-2.jpg]
(05-29-2020, 04:22 AM)catchinon Wrote: I got a call from Sam at the Utah Lake Commission checking up on how we are doing cleaning up at Lincoln Beach. All I could tell him was that we are picking up what we can as we go (and I have the trash in the bed of my pickup to prove it). We are supposed to have three organized group cleanup days per year. I explained that we really only have a few regulars who fish there and that many of our members are up north and scattered over the state. He said that they have people who want to get involved and he could shunt some our way if we want. What are your thoughts? Who all can help out? Which direction do you want us to go in?

I don't see a problem with accepting help from anyone who has offered to get involved.
I'm in for this little project. I agree with Pat, it would be a major job to open that area to boat launching. The access is limited, parking is limited, and the entire area in overgrown with tamarisk as well as phrags. It would make a nice area to launch small craft, yaks, canoes, and tubes. Anything more than opening access to small craft would require some heavy equipment. Probably best to try for improved access for now and let the development plans proceed with more major improvements. 

I note that some idiot has dumped a pickup full of garbage in the tamarisks on private property just past the Lincoln Point. Hmmm... little wonder the property owners are post no trespassing signs all along the road. I'm not sure we will ever find a cure for trashy people who insist on leaving trash behind every time they fish the area.

Anyhow, count me in on whatever we decide to do.

BLK
I would be willing to do what I can also. Years ago I used to camp on the newly purchased property.
Thanks for all the responses. I'm not sure when to schedule a group pick-up day. It seems that a Saturday is the most obvious time for people to attend but when I was trying to load my boat and leave at noon Saturday the activity was horrendous. The harbor was crowded with boats waiting to dock, rigs were everywhere overflowing to the area over by the big gravel piles, there was literally nowhere to park, etc. However, when I arrived around 7 there were but two other rigs parked ahead of me. That tells me that an early start should keep us out of the circus and provide for cooler weather, too. Any advice or preferences?