Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Wednesday...not bad
Buddy and I got my boat out for the first time this season, and hit Rockport a little late, fishing by 0930....sometimes unplanned events in your life force you to change tactics, times, or even the event itself.....so I just welcome any time to get out, and fully appreciate any time I can spend on the water....Nice day on the water...lite winds kept the heat at bay, and just a mild chop on the surface....Nothing doing toward the So. end, and then turning and heading toward the dam, we began 'seeing' fish just passing the Marina again...buddy finally had a hit - and miss - there at about 12', so that's what I tuned my D.R. line and planer line to be at....I started getting hits, planer board Rapala and D.R. chartreuse Flashassin, both getting me 2 nicer 'bows, 15 to 16"....my buddy also ended up with a couple nicer ones, and we each lost a couple....bite really slowed down by 1100, but by then 'our spot' was now covered by 6 or 7 other boats....good, fast action while it lasted, especially when the solunar charts said the day was a poor fishing day....Just go when you can, take someone if you can, and enjoy all there is to our sport....and Guluk...
(05-29-2020, 04:32 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Buddy and I got my boat out for the first time this season, and hit Rockport a little late, fishing by 0930....sometimes unplanned events in your life force you to change tactics, times, or even the event itself.....so I just welcome any time to get out, and fully appreciate any time I can spend on the water....Nice day on the water...lite winds kept the heat at bay, and just a mild chop on the surface....Nothing doing toward the So. end, and then turning and heading toward the dam, we began 'seeing' fish just passing the Marina again...buddy finally had a hit - and miss - there at about 12', so that's what I tuned my D.R. line and planer line to be at....I started getting hits, planer board Rapala and D.R. chartreuse Flashassin, both getting me 2 nicer 'bows, 15 to 16"....my buddy also ended up with a couple nicer ones, and we each lost a couple....bite really slowed down by 1100, but by then 'our spot' was now covered by 6 or 7 other boats....good, fast action while it lasted, especially when the solunar charts said the day was a poor fishing day....Just go when you can, take someone if you can, and enjoy all there is to our sport....and Guluk...
Glad you were able to get out, did you happen to try for any perch? I'm planning on trying to make a trip up to try for some Perch Monday or Tuesday.
Good to hear you're out there....You know, I've just never had (or taken) the opportunity to still/jig fish for perch out of a boat...but I sure wouldn't mind trying....We did see several boats out there that appeared to not be moving (not trolling), so maybe they were jigging deep for perch? Would you use same lures/bait combos as for ice? Would your fish finder show them down on the bottom just like thru the ice?
Way to go Joe!

(05-30-2020, 05:14 PM)dubob Wrote: Way to go Joe!