Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sturgeon trip 5-27- 29th
Finally I was able to purchase an Idaho fishing license and make my first (of hopefully many) sturgeon trips of the year.  My cousin Randy joined me. Last year we were told about a new place that was often good in the spring.  Last year it provided great action on early trips.  We had hopes that it would be good again this year.  Unfortunately, no sturgeon seemed to be in that area and I was surprised that the flow rate was lower than expected (that may have been the reason the sturgeon weren't where they were supposed to be).  Speaking of flow rates the flow varied from a high of 19,000 cubic feet per second, on Wednesday, to a low of 9,500 cubic feet per second on Friday.  Ideally, the flow rate is fairly constant, but such a rapid huge swing often leads to less bites.

That first day, we managed to land 5 sturgeon (also lost three others) and strangely, we caught 5 sturgeon every day, for a total of 15 sturgeon.  Even more odd was every day I landed 3 sturgeon and my cousin landed 2 sturgeon.  Nothing large this trip, but my cousin did catch his personal best of 7'6". 

Where we fish the floating seaweed can make it difficult and often impossible to fish.  It has been my experience that the seaweed isn't a big issue until later in the year.  Unfortunately, this year was an exception and the seaweed was as bad as I have ever seen it.  I sure hope it doesn't get even worse later in the year.  It got so thick that yesterday we were not able to fish the hole that we had fished the two days before. 

While reeling my rods in a couple times the lines crossed while dragging huge balls of seaweed.  I was concerned that my Power Pro line might get weakened on either or both rods, as a result of friction on the lines as they slid along each other.  Later on I found out that my concern was valid.  I got a monster hit and my rod bent over and then snapped back, while my rod was still in a rod holder.  I grabbed the rod and my line was slack.  My line had snapped, apparently where it had rubbed on the line on the other rod.  Very frustrating and I hate leaving a hook and some line in a sturgeon.

I enjoyed using my new fish finder; however, I need to get better at recognizing sturgeon from carp on my side imaging.  It is extremely helpful to know the areas that aren't holding any fish, so no need to waste time fishing there.

It was a hot trip.  The temperature varied from a low of 58 in the morning to 100 when we headed home on Friday.  We typically never see temperatures anywhere near that high in May.  It was great to get out with my cousin again and hopefully it was my first of many great sturgeon trips this year.
When you go do you chase exclusively sturgen or do you do mixed species
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Sounds really fun!!!
Thanks, I was hopping that new place would work, I may still stop there.  been waiting for a call are a PM  looks like I will need to get on him.
you must have got a room OK

did you have MEGA Side Imaging  on  if you did try 455 you can see father out with 455 then after you pick the fish up with that go back to Mega   sometimes I like 455 better
Sounds like a decent first sturgeon trip of the season. What type/brand of FFer did you buy Kent?
(05-30-2020, 11:09 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: When you go do you chase exclusively sturgen or do you do mixed species

Our main target is sturgeon.  Difficult to drive 4 1/2 hours (one way) and then fish for species that we can catch locally.  Sometimes we fish for crappie, for a few minutes, to catch some for bait (in Idaho, game fish can be used for bait).  If sturgeon fishing is extremely slow, we will occasionally fish for bass for an hour or two.  Small mouth bass fishing is excellent up on The Snake River.

(05-31-2020, 12:58 AM)liketrolling Wrote: Thanks, I was hopping that new place would work, I may still stop there.  been waiting for a call are a PM  looks like I will need to get on him.
you must have got a room OK

did you have MEGA Side Imaging  on  if you did try 455 you can see father out with 455 then after you pick the fish up with that go back to Mega   sometimes I like 455 better

Not sure what "new place" or who "him" is.  Yes, I had MEGA Side Imaging on.  I will have to give 455 a try (assuming I can figure out how to do that).

(05-31-2020, 04:43 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sounds like a decent first sturgeon trip of the season. What type/brand of FFer did you buy Kent?

Humminbird HELIX 9 Chirp MSI GPS G3N (model 410860-1).  This has MEGA down imaging and also MEGA side imaging.