Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boulder Mountain area 6/2-6/3
I had the chance to get down to the boulder mountain area.  Grayling fishing was good through midday and early afternoon, with fishing rising on the surface (and just beneath).  I did the best on dark colored emergers (sizes 16-18), which I fished in the film beneath a dark colored dry.

I think it may be a little early for Brooke trout, even on the lakes below the rim.  I ended the first day on Lower Bowns, which was good fishing before dark for smallish rainbows (10-14 in) and smaller tigers.  Lots of surface activity, though no callibaetis yet.

I had a little luck with leech patterns and chironomids under a bubble, but the best fishing for both the grayling and the planter rainbows/tigers was on top.  

Yesterday I looked for some bigger tigers, to no avail.  After a considerable hike I only caught one fish.  On the way out I fished Forsyth till discouragement and fatigue set in, and left with nothing but a small brown from outlet.  [Image: boulders.jpg][Image: grayling.jpg]
I was on Boulder for several days 2 weeks ago. I'm surprised it slowed that much. Lower Bowns had the lowest water I've ever seen while I was there. But those little rainbows were cruising in the shallows and feeding aggressively midday. I found some small streams loaded with trout coming off Boulder into Grand Staircase Escalante Nat Monument as well. While I was the only one fishing the crowds in GSE Nat Monument have increased a hundredfold since I started visiting the area 20 years ago.