Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Idaho greenhouse pics
(06-20-2020, 05:36 PM)jjannie Wrote: we've used those fire rings  as base for some of our planters. Jeff put cedar fence boards around one of them. he made 2 shallow grooves in the boards to run copper wires to hold them all in place. We use these ring planters 1 for poppies, it has boards around it, the other 2 are for watermelons and cantaloupe. Its nice because they drain out on bottoms and never rust. He's going to 'wood' the sides of the melons ones, eventually.

I'll try to grab a good picture of boards and wiring, then I'll update this with it. Jeff said he also tapers the sides of boards a bit so they'd lay nicer next to each other. 

[Image: 20200621-Fire-Ring-planter-box.jpg]
Nice, I like the looks of those
(06-22-2020, 02:37 PM)jjannie Wrote: That is tall! Ever try freeze drying corn off the cob?  We have, works really nicely. We had to buy frozen corn to use but since you're growing some it'd give you a way to keep it. It also re-hydrates easily.

No, corn is too high in carbs, can't eat it.
(06-23-2020, 04:59 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 02:37 PM)jjannie Wrote: That is tall! Ever try freeze drying corn off the cob?  We have, works really nicely. We had to buy frozen corn to use but since you're growing some it'd give you a way to keep it. It also re-hydrates easily.

No, corn is too high in carbs, can't eat it.

Ah, forgot about that,  so growing corn was more for your son I suppose.

(06-22-2020, 03:38 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote:
(06-20-2020, 05:36 PM)jjannie Wrote: we've used those fire rings  as base for some of our planters. Jeff put cedar fence boards around one of them. he made 2 shallow grooves in the boards to run copper wires to hold them all in place. We use these ring planters 1 for poppies, it has boards around it, the other 2 are for watermelons and cantaloupe. Its nice because they drain out on bottoms and never rust. He's going to 'wood' the sides of the melons ones, eventually.

I'll try to grab a good picture of boards and wiring, then I'll update this with it. Jeff said he also tapers the sides of boards a bit so they'd lay nicer next to each other. 

[Image: 20200621-Fire-Ring-planter-box.jpg]
Nice, I like the looks of those
 Since our poppies have died back for the season, we've collected their seed heads and are going to plant some annual flowers in this planter for the rest of summer.
(06-30-2020, 12:59 PM)jjannie Wrote: Ah, forgot about that,  so growing corn was more for your son I suppose.

Yes, my son and his long time GF planted everything this year.
Think your son got better end of the deal there - a 'free' greenhouse and Dad to work to re-assemble it - so nice that they planted things hopefully you can both share with each other some of the harvest.
(07-01-2020, 05:52 PM)jjannie Wrote: Think your son got better end of the deal there - a 'free' greenhouse and Dad to work to re-assemble it - so nice that they planted things hopefully you can both share with each other some of the harvest.

We split the cost of the GH, and she helped helped put up the supports and installing the plastic last year, because my wife and son both have bad backs they were limited on how much lifting they could do. We took a few Veg home when we came back two weeks ago but I doubt we will get back there now until the Fall, so we will get few Veg until we move up there, sometime in the future.
My son has been sending me pics from the Idaho GH, this produce was just from this week. Last pic is a Artichoke plant, it is the first one I've ever seen, I've never planted one.
[Image: Idaho-GH-produce-2020.jpg]

[Image: Idaho-GH-produce-2.jpg]

[Image: Idaho-GH-3.jpg]

[Image: Idaho-GH-4.jpg]

[Image: Idaho-GH-5.jpg]

[Image: Idaho-GH-artichoke.jpg]
Nice, looks like it's working really well. What's the control panel in some of the pictures for?
(07-31-2020, 10:31 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Nice, looks like it's working really well. What's the control panel in some of the pictures for?
It's an electric stove, you can see the burner circle to the left of the zucchini. Are you growing a garden?
Nice harvest WH2! I picked a huge batch of green beans from the GH this morning. Too many for one meal so we'll be freezing some for another time. I needed to use 3step stool in order to reach most of these. Big Grin  I pruned back some of the tomatoes in the GH as they are taking over everything but this 1st year we are learning a lot so next year things should be better - or at least we hope so - LOL Undecided 

These warmer temps we are having many things have finally really taken off out side the GH. Tomorrow I'll pick the largest cabbage from the bales for some fired cabbage - our favorite way to eat it.
(08-01-2020, 04:21 PM)jjannie Wrote: Nice harvest WH2! I picked a huge batch of green beans from the GH this morning. Too many for one meal so we'll be freezing some for another time. I needed to use 3step stool in order to reach most of these. Big Grin  I pruned back some of the tomatoes in the GH as they are taking over everything but this 1st year we are learning a lot so next year things should be better - or at least we hope so - LOL Undecided 

These warmer temps we are having many things have finally really taken off out side the GH. Tomorrow I'll pick the largest cabbage from the bales for some fired cabbage - our favorite way to eat it.
We have been blanching and freezing zucchini, yellow squash and green beans for almost a month now, hopefully we will have a good stock pile for the Winter by the time the growing season is over. Not sure what the kids are doing with their excess produce but I know they are giving some of it away.
Here is some produce we just brought down from our Idaho GH.[Image: 100-3405.jpg]
Nice, looks like it's produced a lot this year.
(08-15-2020, 02:00 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Nice, looks like it's produced a lot this year.
Yea, it is pretty crazy, what we brought back was just a small fraction of what they have there. The amount of tomatoes they have is insane, lots of spaghetti squash, pumpkins and kale too but we can only process so much at a time.
Sure looks like you and your son are definitely going to have a busy fall! That GH is really producing nicely.
(08-15-2020, 02:29 PM)jjannie Wrote: Sure looks like you and your son are definitely going to have a busy fall! That GH is really producing nicely.

They pulled their corn and their snow peas from one of their boxes. It looked like one of the drip irrigation lines was clogged because a pumpkin plant or two are dying but they have so many, that it did not matter much. They are talking about buying a second freezer to put all their produce in, after they process it and maybe even a freeze dryer but that will likely have to wait until next year. Here is a pic of the inside of the GH, big change from the last ones I posted.

[Image: idaho-GH.jpg]

[Image: Aug-idaho-GH.jpg]

[Image: idaho-GH-tomatoes.jpg]
we ended up replacing a solenoid in our valve box as one line had failed to water it and we had fault at the control box as well, but that is now repaired. We had been watering it by manually opening the valve and setting a timer for us to turn it off. So we are back in business once again.

Tell me, did you have pollination problems in the GH? Are there doors on both ends so air can pass thru the GH? I know adding that fan to circulate the air in ours that really helped our many of our plants produce.
(08-15-2020, 04:37 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 02:29 PM)jjannie Wrote: Sure looks like you and your son are definitely going to have a busy fall! That GH is really producing nicely.

They pulled their corn and their snow peas from one of their boxes. It looked like one of the drip irrigation lines was clogged because a pumpkin plant or two are dying but they have so many, that it did not matter much. They are talking about buying a second freezer to put all their produce in, after they process it and maybe even a freeze dryer but that will likely have to wait until next year. Here is a pic of the inside of the GH, big change from the last ones I posted.

[Image: idaho-GH.jpg]

[Image: Aug-idaho-GH.jpg]

[Image: idaho-GH-tomatoes.jpg]

Wow, that's been a great deal, probably gonna have to build the better half one, not quite that big, bit big enough to get her to be able to grow what she likes.
(08-18-2020, 09:32 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Wow, that's been a great deal, probably gonna have to build the better half one, not quite that big, bit big enough to get her to be able to grow what she likes.

A GH makes a huge difference on how well a garden grow, so even a smaller GH is worth it.
(08-18-2020, 03:57 PM)jjannie Wrote: we ended up replacing a solenoid in our valve box as one line had failed to water it and we had fault at the control box as well, but that is now repaired. We had been watering it by manually opening the valve and setting a timer for us to turn it off. So we are back in business once again.

Tell me, did you have pollination problems in the GH?  Are there doors on both ends so air can pass thru the GH? I know adding that fan to circulate the air in ours that really helped our many of our plants produce.

They were having problems early on, when it was still cold outside overnight but once they were able to leave the doors open overnight they had no problems getting everything pollinated. Yes there are two doors one on each end of the GH.