Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redemption at Utah Lake 6 4 2020
Julie and I decided to risk another disappointment by heading back to the area which only a week ago had given the grandkids only one cat in 3 hours a fishing. We fished from just after 7 AM to just after 1 PM things were much different. We averaged 6 cats and hour, including several doubles. All of them came on cut White Bass, most of it fresh caught earlier in the day at the harbor. Most of our time we were strolling, but at one point we set the i-pilot to anchor and still fished. That was fun, but more of the cats swallowed the bait and circle hooks are hard to remove when swallowed. 

Winds were light, water temps started at 69 and ended just below 75 with clarity down at 8-10 inches, much lower than the 16” we had seen last time over by the knolls. This trip the fish came shallower, from 3.5 to 6.5 FOW. The largest fish was 27" and the smallest about 16”. Most of the fish caught in less than 4.5 FOW were starting to turn dark, but still appeared to be pre-spawn.

It was a fun outing with great weather, ample feisty fish and some gorgeous views of pelicans, grebes doing their mating dance and lots of birds singing. Well, Julies says they were singing. I have to be really close to hear them since age has taken away most of my high frequency hearing! 

I guess I should mention that Julie caught the biggest fish and 6 more than I did. Look out team north!

As Catchinon said in a recent report, the casts are on!  Hopefully this weekend’s return to winter weather will only slow them down a bit!

[Image: 2019-2nd-Spawn-White.jpg][Image: First-Double.jpg][Image: Jim-26-5.jpg][Image: Julie-26.jpg][Image: Julie-27.jpg]
Thanks for the detailed report and pics, it sure is amazing the difference a few days can make. You are a lucky man to have a wife that goes fishing with you. Smile
(06-17-2020, 01:10 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the detailed report and pics, it sure is amazing the difference a few days can make. You are a lucky man to have a wife that goes fishing with you. Smile
Thanks for the reply. Believe me I know how lucky I am. She is 2.5" ahead of me in the cat contest. It is her first year and she has already scored better than any of my previous years, ....and I couldn't be happier!

I'm not sure, but I'm voting for sunscreen contaminated bait as the major factor on the bad day. It is fun though t otry to figure it out.