Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Crappie Report
Made a morning run over to Pineview to see about getting into some Crappie. Last week we tore up the gills and perch on the shallow weedy areas of pineview. This week I ran the rocky shoreline looking for transition to deep and structure changes with the Deeper Chirp sonar. Found a lot of crappie wanting to play. 

Time - early morning. As the sun came up the crappie started to move deeper. I left before the powerboats showed up

What: small 1/6 jig head with small jigs (color did not seem to matter much). I did tip with a worm at times, but caught without as well. Jig was suspened under a slip bobber or tight bobber and was about 8-32 inches down - deeper as the morning progressed. I also caught bass with a purple perch flig but did not spend much time doing that as the Crappie kept me busy. Ultra light rig with 4lb test.

How. pretty simple - ajust the jig to where they were schooling up and stay a little above them. Slow reeling with light jigging to get them excited.

It was over 100 fish in a couple hours, with a lot of green sunfish mixed in and some small mouths. A few with fair size but mostly small. I likely need to start keeping them to help thin down the small numbers.

If you are trying to get kids into some fish, this is a great place to try. Just get there early and get out before the powerboats start doing thier thing.

A fun video with the Wookie

https://youtu.be/7TimhUx0G8c
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Looks like fun. I need to get up there and catch some to replenish my sturgeon bait.

"I likely need to start keeping them to help thin down the small numbers." Wouldn't that be to "help thin down the large numbers"?
(06-08-2020, 12:01 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: Looks like fun.  I need to get up there and catch some to replenish my sturgeon bait.

"I likely need to start keeping them to help thin down the small numbers."  Wouldn't that be to "help thin down the large numbers"?

to thin down the large number of small crappie would have been the verbiage I was looking for

You could sure fill up the bait bucket right now
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Hey Cowboy -- enjoyed your video - again - keep up the good work.....and, Guluk...
Way to go, looks like you were in that same spot I saw you at last Fall when you and Cookie were fishing there. Too bad they have stated charging $20 to launch there.
Hay cowboy have you ever tried across the water on the opposite side? I've done some ice fishing over there. Looking for some bigger ones.
(06-08-2020, 01:55 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Way to go, looks like you were in that same spot I saw you at last Fall when you and Cookie were fishing there. Too bad they have stated charging $20 to launch there.

Ya same location. I wandered a bit more east on that shoreline and found a bunch with the range of my ultralight and slip bobber. Could see bigger ones with the Deeper Chirp but the swarms of nightly mites would hit before I could get a crank or two on the reel. It was a fun morning

(06-08-2020, 02:51 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Hay cowboy have you ever tried across the water on the opposite side?  I've done some ice fishing over there. Looking for some bigger ones.

Ya that point just coming out of the narrows on the other side can be a hot spot.  I will be up in Logan trying Newton and Cutler this week or I would likely try that point at PV next. Some big Smallmouth in that area.
Nice video, thanks for sharing. It looked like a very fun trip.
(06-12-2020, 10:33 PM)utahren Wrote: Hi, Cowboy,
Thanks for share this fun moment. It looks like so easy to catch crappie. Do you mind to share the location? I have never been in Pineview and do not know where to fishing or parking. you can send location to my cell phone 801-719-4690. Thanks a lot.
Lu

My friend, I am careful about texting  people I dont know.  That said I would offer a couple thoughts here and if you need more help,  feel free to PM me through this forum vs texting...you will find that days like I showed on the video are the exception, not the norm.. Sometimes they come easy if you are in the right place at the right time and know a few  crappie techniques.  Or, if you have been fortunate, like me, to have listen to, occasionally mentored by, and then practice the advice offered by much better anglers than me who are on this site and are kind enough to teach us.  However, most people I talk to find crappie a bid hard to catch. Two things a few on this site have drilled into my head for Crappie....fish up and fish early (or late). As for locations at Pineview, there is no magic spot. They move based on many factors. The rock area of the north side of cemetery ridge is a good place to start. Any of the pullouts along the narrows closer to the dam can be productive. The walk out at browing point or off rattle snake can hold them. If I told you goto one spotand that's where they are, they would not be, they dont listen to me. But if you are new to the game try the rocky area off cemetery, it as good of bet as any. Good luck and let us know how ya did.