Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planer board setups on Jordanelle
So how do you setup planer boards for Kokes. I’ve never used them before.
I’m assuming everyone is still using typical dodger and squid rigs, any weight
Added to the line ? Seems everyday is a new tackle setup over the past few years.... Smile
With the crew I had this past weekend I ran 1 rod out the back with a setup that I wanted to try for the boards and is used a lot in the northwest. Made a leader out of braid, 1st section is about 8” long with barrel swivels at each end and the line between the two barrel swivels was run through a snap swivel eye ( this lets the the swivel slide on the line and is used to attach the weight to), behind the 8” leader I tied another 18” piece of braid to 1 of the barrel swivels and then a snap swivel to the end to attach to the dodger or sling blade ( the 18” leader lets the dodger work without the weight interfereing). The set up worked well and caught fish. You can let the line out to get to your desired depth and then hook the line to the planner board clip and let it slide out to the board. I’ve attached the “chart” I used for weight size and distance to get to the depth I wanted. I don’t have the rig here at the rental house or I would post a pic of it, I can get one tomorrow if needed
[Image: 9-BB70-E8-D-167-A-4704-8-AC4-58633-DCC0165.png]
Guess I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of what your rig looks like; I don't mind trying something new if it'll be better than what I do....Mine is pretty simple..and it works for my boat...I'm using Church TX-12 Planer port and starboard, it's 7.5" and it'll float and pull your 2 and 3 oz weights with no problem...I haven't tried anything heavier, as the deepest I'm ever trying to get off planer boards is 30 to 40'...deep stuff is for my down riggers, so planers I'm usually targeting 8 to 25'...I'm barrel-swivelling a 6' leader to my main line, and attaching in-line weights to my main line, right above that barrel swivel....I have 1/4oz, 3/8oz, 1/2oz, 1oz, and 2oz weights, so's I can add what is needed....And yes, you certainly can use any koke lure/ dodger combo you've got....If you haven't purchased your planers yet, I'd recommend not getting anything smaller than what I have..when I started with planers about 5 years ago, I purchased the Church set one size smaller than the TX-12....they were nice at Willard where you use little or no extra weight, but they sunk adding 1.5 to 2oz weights....Guluk...
2 knots - Thanks for the chart you posted, we had misplaced ours and it'll come in handy to have on board.
(06-09-2020, 03:43 PM)jjannie Wrote: 2 knots - Thanks for the chart you posted, we had misplaced ours and it'll come in handy to have on board.
Your welcome I have misplaced mine a couple of times so I took a screen shot of it and added it to my photos on my phone so I have it with me
(06-09-2020, 04:09 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Guess I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of what your rig looks like.

I like this as changing weights is quick
[Image: DE168-F79-E1-BE-4392-BF6-C-BE728611-DB1-C.jpg]
I did very well on the 27th of May using the planer boards.  I simply ran the dodger and squid back ~120 feet attached the planer and caught quite a few as well as lead core line run straight back 5 colors.
tks 2knots....printed off your set-up (also the chart) and I'll see if I can make that work....are you still running a longer leader line from your main line to this set-up? I run a 4 to 6' leader...or are you just going main line to this set?
(06-09-2020, 11:56 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: tks 2knots....printed off your set-up (also the chart) and I'll see if I can make that work....are you still running a longer leader line from your main line to this set-up? I run a 4 to 6' leader...or are you just going main line to this set?
Main line to this set up
An easier way is to use trolling weights. They come with swivels and you just tie lines to them. Trolling weights are banana shaped. Been using system for years. Give it 2 or 3 ft between weight and dodger.