Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smith & Morehouse
Anybody been up here lately? Just curious about water conditions (clarity mainly). I know that it muddies up pretty bad during run-off... looking to get the tube and fly rod out.
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring
I was there two weeks ago. The river was running hard and it was pretty murky. Last weekend my brother caught a rainbow on a nymph though, so it could be better now.
(06-11-2020, 08:40 PM)Downriggerer Wrote: I was there two weeks ago.  The river was running hard and it was pretty murky.  Last weekend my brother caught a rainbow on a nymph though, so it could be better now.

Thank you sir! Wink

I think I'll give it one more week... probably hit The Berry this weekend, and then it will be Uintas time.
still pretty murky on Saturday the 13th. Creek coming in and out of the reservoir is still fairly high and off color. I'd give it 1-2 more weeks before water clarity improves
(06-15-2020, 04:57 PM)chuckbigflies Wrote: still pretty murky on Saturday the 13th. Creek coming in and out of the reservoir is still fairly high and off color. I'd give it 1-2 more weeks before water clarity improves

Thank you for this chuckbigflies!

Maybe all that craziness weather-wise first half of last week added to the run-off season up there? I might try it it towards the end of next week. Never fished it from the tube so just trying to satisfy my curiosity.
S&M is fishable. I was there yesterday and the stream coming in has slowed down and the water coming out is a lot clearer.

There's still some staining in the water, but it wasn't enough to stop the fish from biting.
(06-17-2020, 05:54 PM)Downriggerer Wrote: S&M is fishable.  I was there yesterday and the stream coming in has slowed down and the water coming out is a lot clearer. 

There's still some staining in the water, but it wasn't enough to stop the fish from biting.

Thanks! I've got some time off next week so I think I'll put S&M on the list for a float tube trip... will post a full report.
I fished it last night and did not realize the variety of fish they had there. Landed Rainbow, Cutts, Kokanee and grayling.  I used my spinning outfit early on with a small wedding ring and caught the salmon and then later on went with the flyrod and small damsel fly but I dont know if it matters. All very small and light bite but so fun. Mosquitos come out heavy towards eve.
(06-26-2020, 05:21 PM)fishsoda69 Wrote: I fished it last night and did not realize the variety of fish they had there. Landed Rainbow, Cutts, Kokanee and grayling.  I used my spinning outfit early on with a small wedding ring and caught the salmon and then later on went with the flyrod and small damsel fly but I dont know if it matters. All very small and light bite but so fun. Mosquitos come out heavy towards eve.
Thanks for the report and welcome to the site. Were you fishing from shore or in a floating device? The reason I ask is because we fished it from a boat last year and could not catch any of the grayling with a fly, trolled slow with my electric motor behind my boat  we were not using a damsel fly, so maybe that could have made a difference.
(06-26-2020, 09:32 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 05:21 PM)fishsoda69 Wrote: I fished it last night and did not realize the variety of fish they had there. Landed Rainbow, Cutts, Kokanee and grayling.  I used my spinning outfit early on with a small wedding ring and caught the salmon and then later on went with the flyrod and small damsel fly but I dont know if it matters. All very small and light bite but so fun. Mosquitos come out heavy towards eve.
Thanks for the report and welcome to the site. Were you fishing from shore or in a floating device? The reason I ask is because we fished it from a boat last year and could not catch any of the grayling with a fly, trolled slow with my electric motor behind my boat  we were not using a damsel fly, so maybe that could have made a difference.
Yes, I was on a Kayak. Seemed to hit it best if I just drifted it with the slow breeze.