Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard again 6-11-20
Made a solo trip to the south marina this morning...but I was not alone.  Plenty of anglers early and power squadron bozos later.  Air temp 55 and water temp 66 early...warming a couple of degrees by departure about 11ish.

Saw a lot more fish on sonar than on the end of my line for the first couple of hours.  Nothing much in water shallower than about 16 feet.  More in 20 plus.  Still hadn't scored anything when the "Deadly Duo" (Curt and Ira) did a drive by to exchange pleasantries.  Finally boated my first walleye about 8:30.  Then it was a hit about every half hour.  Ended up with 3 eater sized walleyes and a couple of small catfish.

I have been making and using crawler harness rigs with 1" fligs, custom colored beads and some laminated prism tape blades I call "snarl" blades...because the ends curl in different directions rather than the same as with "Smile" blades.  They have been producing wipers walleyes and cats.  But I hate messing with rigging them on the long mono pieces and stringing the pieces, etc.  So I decided to try making them on a wire shaft.  I work a lot with wire and make all my own spinners...so why not?  Indeed.  And the fish agreed.

Caught all three walleye on different colors.  The first came on fire tiger.  The second on chartreuse perch.  The third on a white with red eye model I made especially for fishing white Gulp Minnows.  Both catfish voted for the chartreuse perch and crawler.
[Image: LOVELY-LAUNCH.jpg][Image: DEADLY-DUO-DRIVEBY.jpg][Image: WALLIE-ON-FIRE-TIGER.jpg][Image: WALLIE-ON-CHART-PERCH.jpg][Image: WALLIE-ON-WHITE-GULP.jpg][Image: CAT-ON-CHART-PERCH.jpg][Image: 3-PLUS-2.jpg]
(06-11-2020, 08:51 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Made a solo trip to the south marina this morning...but I was not alone.  Plenty of anglers early and power squadron bozos later.  Air temp 55 and water temp 66 early...warming a couple of degrees by departure about 11ish.

Saw a lot more fish on sonar than on the end of my line for the first couple of hours.  Nothing much in water shallower than about 16 feet.  More in 20 plus.  Still hadn't scored anything when the "Deadly Duo" (Curt and Ira) did a drive by to exchange pleasantries.  Finally boated my first walleye about 8:30.  Then it was a hit about every half hour.  Ended up with 3 eater sized walleyes and a couple of small catfish.

I have been making and using crawler harness rigs with 1" fligs, custom colored beads and some laminated prism tape blades I call "snarl" blades...because the ends curl in different directions rather than the same as with "Smile" blades.  They have been producing wipers walleyes and cats.  But I hate messing with rigging them on the long mono pieces and stringing the pieces, etc.  So I decided to try making them on a wire shaft.  I work a lot with wire and make all my own spinners...so why not?  Indeed.  And the fish agreed.

Caught all three walleye on different colors.  The first came on fire tiger.  The second on chartreuse perch.  The third on a white with red eye model I made especially for fishing white Gulp Minnows.  Both catfish voted for the chartreuse perch and crawler.
[Image: LOVELY-LAUNCH.jpg][Image: DEADLY-DUO-DRIVEBY.jpg][Image: WALLIE-ON-FIRE-TIGER.jpg][Image: WALLIE-ON-CHART-PERCH.jpg][Image: WALLIE-ON-WHITE-GULP.jpg][Image: CAT-ON-CHART-PERCH.jpg][Image: 3-PLUS-2.jpg]
Great job Pat. Always nice to get some walleyes. If the wind isn't too bad, I'm going to give it a try in the morning. Instead of the west side, go out the south marina and sneak back in and fish the channel and marina if it blows to hard.
Good job on the wlleye. Looked windy here this morning. Glad you got out before it blew too hard.
(06-11-2020, 09:19 PM)FatBiker Wrote: Great job Pat. Always nice to get some walleyes. If the wind isn't too bad, I'm going to give it a try in the morning. Instead of the west side, go out the south marina and sneak back in and fish the channel and marina if it blows to hard.
Sometimes it can be productive inside the channel.  Not today.  I worked it on the way out and again on the way back in.  Only saw a couple of bottom bumps and some "clutter".  Nary a sniff on anything I offered.  But you know Willard.  Yesterday was yesterday...and has no bearing on what happens today.

Good luck.
You did better than I did today. I returned to the Charleston end of Deer creek this morning. Fishing was fantastic, catching was almost nonexistent. I only caught a couple of small smallmouth bass. Maybe I scared the walleye after last weeks outing. No other species harmed. I am debating taking the flyrod up to Deer creek next week. I did see nice schools of perch that would follow my jig in and also on sonar in about 13 ft of water. 
-Gabe
(06-11-2020, 09:19 PM)FatBiker Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 08:51 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Made a solo trip to the south marina this morning...but I was not alone.  Plenty of anglers early and power squadron bozos later.  Air temp 55 and water temp 66 early...warming a couple of degrees by departure about 11ish.

Great job Pat. Always nice to get some walleyes. If the wind isn't too bad, I'm going to give it a try in the morning. Instead of the west side, go out the south marina and sneak back in and fish the channel and marina if it blows to hard.

How fast are you moving in your power tube to troll for waleyes?
(06-12-2020, 12:27 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: You did better than I did today. I returned to the Charleston end of Deer creek this morning. Fishing was fantastic, catching was almost nonexistent. I only caught a couple of small smallmouth bass. Maybe I scared the walleye after last weeks outing. No other species harmed. I am debating taking the flyrod up to Deer creek next week. I did see nice schools of perch that would follow my jig in and also on sonar in about 13 ft of water. 
-Gabe
Sorry Deer Creek treated you so shabby after raising your expectations.  But as we know, the ups and downs of weather this time of year can change the game.  I have always done well on perch around the first of July.  And there are usually some toothy cousins hanging around the fringes once you find the perch.  Good luck.  Looking forward to a better report next trip.
Those are some good looking walleye and lures. You are the most creative lure maker I know! Thanks for the report, pictures and especially the inspiration. If you ever get tired of Willard, I visited one of your fave spots on UL with the grandkids a couple weeks ago and it was some of the fastest cat action I've seen in a while.
(06-13-2020, 02:04 AM)Piscophilic Wrote: Those are some good looking walleye and lures. You are the most creative lure maker I know! Thanks for the report, pictures and especially the inspiration. If you ever get tired of Willard, I visited one of your fave spots on UL with the grandkids a couple weeks ago and it was some of the fastest cat action I've seen in a while.
Thankee sir.  I've been enjoying your reports on "golden pond" too.  Planning a trip down there next week.  And I have some new "magnum" versions of the snarl blades...on cat-sized fligs...that I plan to field/water test.

Julie rocks.  Either you are a good teacher or you just suck at fishing compared to her.  My guess is that you discovered what I did many years ago.  It ain't a bad thing to have the wife outfish ya.  Happy wife...happy life.