Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear River Surprise
So I took my son and we went to go beat the bushes for cat fish out of our canoe on the bear river up in Corrine.  As we where casting up against the trees I put a whole night crawler on a pole and lobbed it out into the middle just to see if we could stir up a carp for fun.  about 3 minutes later that line starts to move up the river so I set the hook and we brought in this 21" walleye.  I was a little surprised but had heard of walleye being in the river.  I don't know anything about walleye so I am not sure if this is a "big" walleye or just average or even small.  I thought everyone here might think it was cool to see it come from the bear river though.  We caught our fair share of small cats that day but nothing to get too excited about
.[Image: walleye-2.jpg]
Nice job. Most first walleye catches are by accident. If you start to target them good luck and be careful, catching and cooking them can be quite addictive. 21 inch eye is a decent walleye. There have been catches larger than 30 inches and I have yet to have hit that mark. 29 inch walleye from Starvation is my PB.
-Gabe
The fish in my avatar is a 28" walleye caught at the Bird Refuge last August. I don't know who was more surprised, me or the fish. It took a big hook really deep so it went home for dinner.