Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawkins
I was the first one on Hawkins this morning. Latter on there were 6 or 8 pontoon or tube fisher men and a boat or two. I first tried trolling with different lures and I got 2 rainbow on a silver and orange spoons. But it was slow and I was seeing a lot of fish on the finder near the bottom in 15 feet of water. Go to 20 feet and the Fish disappeared. So I ankered and fished power nuggets, corn and night crawler on the bottom and did good. I got three big cuts, my biggest 22 1/2" and 4 1 /4 pounds. And three more rainbow. I kept 3 for the smoker. [Image: IMG-2020-06-11-18-16-44-824.jpg]
Nice, sounds like a good day.
(06-12-2020, 01:06 AM)fast_randy Wrote: I was the first one on Hawkins this morning. Latter on there were 6 or 8 pontoon or tube fisher men and a boat or two. I first tried trolling with different lures and I got 2 rainbow on a silver and orange spoons. But it was slow and I was seeing a lot of fish on the finder near the bottom in 15 feet of water. Go to 20 feet and the Fish disappeared. So I ankered and fished power nuggets, corn and night crawler on the bottom and did good. I got three big cuts, my biggest 22 1/2" and 4 1 /4 pounds. And three more rainbow. I kept 3 for the smoker. 
Nice job Randy, did that big one give you much of a fight?
Yes Curt, the 3 cuts were all bigger than the Rainbows and good fighting. But there are some big Rainbow in there too. Great little spot. The small camp ground there looked full. There were several bank fishing also.
I took my gal friend back to Hawkins Saturday. Because of room I took my big tackle bag with all my trolling gear and lures out of my boat and left it home. I thought I could still find them on the bottom and get them on worm and power bait. But they were suspended this time. All around 15 feet deep. I had a red and white bobber that I could get 7 feet down with. I got two on it, one on a shinner minnow and one on night crawler. And I found a red and silver spoon in my boat that I caught one on. My girl friend did have a couple good bites that took her night crawler, but never got any. The three I got were just like the other 3, about 1 1/2 pounds.
Not bad on your catch but too bad the GF did not get any Sad.
Sounds like a pretty good day. Deciding what to take is such a struggle, I'd have a suitcase for everything that I'd like to take, been trying to thin down my gear for years, to just what I think I need, but usually end up not having something I think would work better. Maybe you should put together a small trolling bag that don't take up much room so you have a bit of everything. I just started making rapalas, so I see another box going in my bag.