Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kokanee Introduced at Blackfoot Reservoir
I just read this article from South East Region F&G. They introduced Kokos into Blackfoot Reservoir Smile hope they take.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/blog/2020/06/expe...Zn4WYtbHck

Sounds like they are putting them in several different locations.  Hope they take and provide some more great fishing
I guess this is good news. I wish they would plant more Rainbow. It has been years since you could get a limit of them. The big Rainbow love those carp minnows. There doesn't seem to be near as many Pelicans as there were.
I agree Randy that it might be good news, but, with all of the issues going on right now at Ririe and no one seems to have an answer as to what or why the Kok population seems to be sliding down, seems like they would try a bit harder to resolve that instead of spreading the fish out over a much broader area. I know it's a different F&G area, but, still it seems like there would be a bit more effort to try and resolve that issue. And maybe they are but just havent put much out on what they are doing. I do wonder though if the koks they are introducing here will find some of the tributaries coming into the reservoir and maybe have some natural spawn taking place. Time will tell but let's hope it does take.
Blackfoot is to shallow and the water levels fluctuate a lot seasonally leaving the water to warm for Kokes to do well. 
This would appear to be a waste of effort and license holders money.
I wondered the same thing MMDon. Blackfoot reservoir over the years has been drawn down for irrigation and has always gotten very warm. To bad we cant get better public input into some of these actions by F&G for different locations and that they would listen a little bit more to the public. Thanks Don
(06-14-2020, 12:09 PM)duksnfish Wrote: I agree Randy that it might be good news, but, with all of the issues going on right now at Ririe and no one seems to have an answer as to what or why the Kok population seems to be sliding down, seems like they would try a bit harder to resolve that instead of spreading the fish out over a much broader area.  I know it's a different  F&G area, but, still it seems like there would be a bit more effort to try and resolve that issue.  And maybe they are but just havent put much out on what they are doing. I do wonder though if the koks they are introducing here will find some of the tributaries coming into the reservoir and maybe have some natural spawn taking place. Time will tell but let's hope it does take.
I know the planted 1.2 million kokanee in Ririe this spring. They were trying to unload them at the dam but truck driver was checking out the turn around to get his truck and trailer down the ramp. He said if he couldn't dump there he was going to Blacktail. 

I never heard where they got dumped.

Smile Smile Smile
(06-24-2020, 12:03 AM)Hombre Wrote:
(06-14-2020, 12:09 PM)duksnfish Wrote: I agree Randy that it might be good news, but, with all of the issues going on right now at Ririe and no one seems to have an answer as to what or why the Kok population seems to be sliding down, seems like they would try a bit harder to resolve that instead of spreading the fish out over a much broader area.  I know it's a different  F&G area, but, still it seems like there would be a bit more effort to try and resolve that issue.  And maybe they are but just havent put much out on what they are doing. I do wonder though if the koks they are introducing here will find some of the tributaries coming into the reservoir and maybe have some natural spawn taking place. Time will tell but let's hope it does take.
I know the planted 1.2 million kokanee in Ririe this spring. They were trying to unload them at the dam but truck driver was checking out the turn around to get his truck and trailer down the ramp. He said if he couldn't dump there he was going to Blacktail. 

I never heard where they got dumped.

Smile Smile Smile
The magic number for Kokes in Ririe according to my notes is 250K to 300K. 1.2 million is  another recipe for disaster.