Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow day on the Bear River
It started as a promising day, slightly overcast and cool. I launched at Corinne and while attaching the Minn Kota to the battery my back went POP, oh crap! Oh well, the boat was in the water and I was in the boat so I decided to make the best of it. Motoring upstream I checked the usual deep bends and found nothing but weeds, leaves, and grass. Seriously, it looked like a mulch pile in some spots. I finally found some willing kitties in the shallower holes where the bottom would rapidly drop a couple feet, say 7 ft dropping to 10 ft. I was using carp pieces a couple inches long to discourage the really small fish and finished the day with three between 14 and 16 inches. Now for some Advil.
Hey fella, your profile says you just joined BFT. Welcome.  You fish the Bear River out of Corrine ? Several of us fish the Bird Refuge portion of the Bear. I put my small 14' Lund on the river from the boat ramp down near the bottom gates. And many years ago I put a small rented boat on the Bear from the ramp under the highway bridge. Never had much luck, and always had to dodge STUFF floating or shallow submerged. 
But have never launched from the Corrine City ramp. In fact, didn't even know about that ramp until a couple years ago.  Have fished off the bank a few times, with varied degrees of luck from NONE, to ahh, a couple small ones.   Shy

Have been thinking of giving that stretch of river a try sometime soon. But the ramp is pretty primitive, so no place to tie up while I move and park the truck if I'm alone. 

If you are into Catfish, you might consider joining the Catfish Contest going on right now. It's a low key "Bragging Rights" only kind of contest. No cost to enter, and no big prize to compete for. Just some fun doing what many of us do all summer anyway.  Cool
If you are interested go to the Utah Fishing Forum / Utah Contests Thread / the first 6 Important Threads have all the info, rules, etc. 
The Normal Threads below that are each individual contest member posting threads. The rules will show you how  to set up your thread. (See Post # 5 in the Rules thread)

Again, welcome to BFT Utah Forum, the most active forum on BFT.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Tin-Can,
The Corrine city ramp could use a sand/gravel beach to park the boat.
Most of my Bear River fishing was done from the shore over 20 years ago.  I was raised in the area and knew enough farmers that getting access to the river wasn't a problem, when I moved back to Utah 2 years ago the farmers were gone and so was the access. Last month I bought a used 14' Crestliner, named it "Stinkbait" and started to explore the river. I feel like a river rookie all over again.
I have been meaning to launch at the Bird Refuge I just haven't made time yet, I did catch some nice fish there last year.
I thought about the Catfish contest and might give the smallest fish category a good run but not the biggest.
If you see me and stinkbait on the river stop and visit.
Well, I sure will stop and holler at ya if I see ya. Same here if you see me. 

This is what my rig looks like.

[Image: 047-25-May-2020-0844-a-m-Launch.jpg]

BRBR Ramp  25 May 2020

Sometimes I just bank fish, either sitting in my truck, (white GMC Sierra)  or in a chair . 

[Image: 09.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool