Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton report
I love Newton. Lots of different species to try for: Perch, Crappie, Bluegill, Largemouth Bass, Musky, and more. 

It was our 30 yr Anniversary so we went up to Logan (where we were married) and spent a few days. While there we hit Newton and caught 4 different species. Here is the report

Location - Newton in Northern Utah (cache valley)

Time - both morning and we came back and hit it in the evening

Weather - cool and sunny with an occasional breeze to keep the skeeters at bay

Water temp -??? left my Deeper Chirp home

Water level - high and going over spill way which created a lot of good covered brush and structure to catch panfish

Method: Cookie used a simple floating bait rig (shown in video)  and some panfish jigs under a bobber. I used a slip bobber with a high/low set up. We tipped with worms sometimes and sometimes not.

Bluegill were close to shore and very active. Cookie caught hers with the floating bait rig and jigs, working rocks and brush. I wish we would have had my fly rod as I bet some mini surface poppers or nymphs would have worked great. We picked up 20 or so messing around. Nice size gills with great color.

Perch were small and caught on a bottom rigs

Largemouth were not targeted so incidental catches were on jigs meant for Gills and Crappie. We could see bigger largies up shallow but did not have our bass gear - maybe you should when ya go. Hint Hint.

Crappie were caught at twilight on the high/low rig with Lost Creek paddle tails and Manic plastics. perch colors and gill colors. Some nice size, which was a pleasant surprise.

We did not target Musky.

If you get a chance to watch the video dont miss the last fish of the day (end of the video). Cookie is a very prim and proper fishergal, so what I caught on film is a rarity Smile

https://youtu.be/ZKQ5MYy0iL4
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Sounds like you had a nice 30th anniversary trip! Lots of fun. Times spent together like this will last forever, keep it up!
(06-14-2020, 04:02 PM)jjannie Wrote: Sounds like you had a nice 30th anniversary trip! Lots of fun. Times spent together like this will last forever, keep it up!

Ya we have had some grand adventures togther. We got to come over and see your pup before we get so caught up in moving.

I should have kept some of those gills. They were big enough to get some fillets worth the time and work.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
great report and video, thanks for sharing. Congratulations on your 30th anniversary!
been a few years since i made a newton run! may have to drag the ole lady up there soon!
(06-16-2020, 08:32 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: been a few years since i made a newton run! may have to drag the ole lady up there soon!

Take the bass gear - some nice ones cruising the shore