Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stanley lake fish kill!
What do you all think about this? 

https://www.postregister.com/news/local/...72831.html
(06-15-2020, 01:09 AM)The_fen Wrote: What do you all think about this? 

https://www.postregister.com/news/local/...72831.html

First off welcome to the site. This being the Utah board there are likely not a lot of our members, that if aware, are too concerned about it but you might get a little more reaction on our Idaho board. As a matter of fact they are talking about this issue right now, if you care to jump in on the conversation. Here is a link to that thread, the last post brings up this very issue:
https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...id=1095553
This part of the article impacts Utah anglers, "... capture adult sterile lake trout from a population in Bear Lake to replace the lost adult fish. Gillnetting lake trout began last week." "... “100 to 200 adult-sized” lake trout — about 5 to 10 pounds — will be transported from Bear Lake. Sterile lake trout have been stocked in Bear Lake since the early 2000s."
(06-15-2020, 03:31 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: This part of the article impacts Utah anglers, "... capture adult sterile lake trout from a population in Bear Lake to replace the lost adult fish. Gillnetting lake trout began last week."  "...  “100 to 200 adult-sized” lake trout — about 5 to 10 pounds — will be transported from Bear Lake. Sterile lake trout have been stocked in Bear Lake since the early 2000s."

I guess I did not read the whole article because I missed that part. What concerns me about that statement is the gill netting part, of those 100 to 200 adult lake trout they are taking how many will die as a result of the gill nets? I'm sure they think what ever that number is, that it is an acceptable number but IMO there a far too few Lakers in BL as it is and as you pointed out there are far too few lakes in Utah that have Macks.
wiper -- I wouldn't be concerned with the fear of killing lake trout by gillnetting them. This would be a different process than traiditonal "sample" gill netting, where a net is set over night. This would be more like what they do at Fish Lake in the fall: set the nets for 30 minutes, then pull them, take measurements, and release them alive. The difference would be that they wouldn't be released, but rather put into a holding tank for transport.

I'm not positive about lake trout, but I'd guess that holding them and transporting them could be done with a low mortality rate.

The interesting part is just the social part -- Is it really necessary to transport ANY adult fish at all? From a biological standpoint: No. This is purely social -- to make anglers feel good. From that standpoint, I'd probably say this is unnecessary.
Sounds like another trout unlimited deal to get rid of everything other than pure strain rainbows. Seems totally unnecessary.