Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfishing Video from Utah Lake
I mounted an Action Cam on my boat and I've started taping our trips. I am just learning to edit, but I wanted to put one out there to see if people are interested. I'm still learning what to include and what to cut. Generally I'm keeping video of all the fish from the strike to the net/release. We caught a lot of fish that day so it is a bit long. This was taken on June 4, 2020

Any comments are welcome.

To save space on the forum I put the video on youtube. Here is the youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GjZAORwZBE
I like the piece that I watched. Camera perspective was nice, the sound was a little soft as far as the talking, but that was okay.
(06-16-2020, 07:44 PM)ratnest Wrote: I like the piece that I watched. Camera perspective was nice, the sound was a little soft as far as the talking, but that was okay.
Thanks for the input! I am still working on the sound part. Camera isn't set up for an external microphone, so I'm experimenting with ways to capture it better.
(06-16-2020, 07:33 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: I mounted an Action Cam on my boat and I've started taping our trips. I am just learning to edit, but I wanted to put one out there to see if people are interested. I'm still learning what to include and what to cut. Generally I'm keeping video of all the fish from the strike to the net/release. We caught a lot of fish that day so it is a bit long. This was taken on June 4, 2020

To save space on the forum I put the video on youtube. Here is the youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GjZAORwZBE

Careful videoing can be very addictive. Its a real learning experience trying to figure out set ups, lighting, sound and editing - and just try to get a fish to follow the script - I dare ya. I love doing it. One thing I have learned is people (including me) have a short attention span. It rare that people will watch all of a 7 minute video I make. Average is about 3.5 minutes so you dont have much time to tell your story. That is okay with me cause a lot of what I do is capturing memories for our family. Just depends on what your goals are.  That said, if I cant fish, garden or be with family at the ranch, then I am often watching a video about fishing or gardening or cowboy stuff. And I really enjoy local amateur videos cause as it is meaningful to our area. Video on...
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
This is awesome what were you guys using for bait?
(06-16-2020, 11:35 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 07:33 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: I mounted an Action Cam on my boat and I've started taping our trips. I am just learning to edit, but I wanted to put one out there to see if people are interested. I'm still learning what to include and what to cut. Generally I'm keeping video of all the fish from the strike to the net/release. We caught a lot of fish that day so it is a bit long. This was taken on June 4, 2020

Careful videoing can be very addictive. Its a real learning experience trying to figure out set ups, lighting, sound and editing - and just try to get a fish to follow the script - I dare ya. I love doing it. One thing I have learned is people (including me) have a short attention span. It rare that people will watch all of a 7 minute video I make. Average is about 3.5 minutes so you dont have much time to tell your story. That is okay with me cause a lot of what I do is capturing memories for our family. Just depends on what your goals are.  That said, if I cant fish, garden or be with family at the ranch, then I am often watching a video about fishing or gardening or cowboy stuff. And I really enjoy local amateur videos cause as it is meaningful to our area. Video on...
Thanks! What editor do you prefer? I knew it was long, but wow 3.5 minutes. All make a note of that. If I am interested, I always watch the whole thing. I just need to remember it isn't on there for me.

(06-17-2020, 01:41 AM)rosahomie Wrote: This is awesome what were you guys using for bait?
We had chunks of White Bass cut bait on the hooks.
(06-16-2020, 07:33 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Any comments are welcome.

I watched the first 15 minutes of your video and enjoyed watching the catfish hit and seeing you reel them in.  I would have enjoyed you explaining and showing how you were rigging, bait(s) used and similar.  I would have been interested in knowing how fast you were trolling and depth of water you were fishing.  

What was the purpose for the balloon?  What camera are you using.

Look forward to seeing additional videos.
(06-17-2020, 02:16 AM)Piscophilic Wrote:

Thanks! What editor do you prefer? I knew it was long, but wow 3.5 minutes. All make a note of that. If I am interested, I always watch the whole thing. I just need to remember it isn't on there for me.

Piscophilic

I use Camtasia. I bought it and it works very well, but in the last 6 months I have switched over to Davinci Resolve (you can get a free version with a few less features). . Davinci has many more features than Camtasia and handles high def better. It is not as intuitive to use however. The mother ship, Adobe, is the best but I just have not wanted to pay the price for what I do.

As to length of videos. I typically come home from a day trip with around an hr of footage and target to reduce it to under 10 minutes in editing. But many people do well with longer videos - it really depends on your goals. I will say my objective is not to monetize my videos or sell stuff, but just keep it fun. If I changed my goals to make money at it, I would be approaching the process in a much different manner.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(06-17-2020, 02:16 AM)Piscophilic Wrote:

(06-17-2020, 01:41 AM)rosahomie Wrote: This is awesome what were you guys using for bait?
We had chunks of White Bass cut bait on the hooks.

(06-17-2020, 02:31 AM)kentofnsl Wrote:

I watched the first 15 minutes of your video and enjoyed watching the catfish hit and seeing you reel them in.  I would have enjoyed you explaining and showing how you were rigging, bait(s) used and similar.  I would have been interested in knowing how fast you were trolling and depth of water you were fishing.  

Quote:"I would have enjoyed you explaining and showing how you were rigging, bait(s) used and similar.  I would have been interested in knowing how fast you were trolling and depth of water you were fishing.  

What was the purpose for the balloon?  What camera are you using."

Thanks Kent, I'll work to include those things next time.

The camera is a Sony HDR-AS50R. So far it seems good except for not having external microphone capability.

Ah, the balloon. Normally they are used to suspend baits over deep water and to get the baits away from the boat in very clear water. Since UL has neither of those, I'm trying it for different reasons. I guess getting it away from the boat, in shallow water where big ole cats might react to the boat going by is one of the top 2 reasons. At the speeds I go, it passes the spot where the other baits passed about 90 to 120 seconds later. It is fairly common for me to get a tentative hit on the close baits and then a solid hook-up a minute or two later on the balloon. 

The other thought process is related to the first, but for different reasons. With the balloon I can get a larger, heavier bait in the water and only have a short amount of line dragging accross the rocks/bushes/reeds or whatever is on the bottom. For example: I want to fish in water 5' deep and I want to use a large set-up with 1.5 ounces of sinker to keep it tapping the bottom. Without the balloon it either ends up dirctly beside the boat or I have say 100' of "line belly" dragging through the snags. And thst damages the line and leads to a lot of snagging. With the balloon I can put 7' of line below it and none of the line is dragging along the bottom. The 100' or so back to the balloon floats, so none of it is dragging. A lot less snagging and line damage. It is sort of a shallow water adaptation.
Looks like you had a great time. Lots of cats. I would edit down the videos to a short length. I think 15 minutes max. Also discussing how you are rigging and what you're using for bait would be helpful. Also showing off the cats close up to the camera would be fun too. Great start though and you have my subscription. Hoping to see more.
Thanks for the explanation on the balloon.
(06-17-2020, 06:12 PM)Ramen4Breakfast Wrote: Looks like you had a great time. Lots of cats. I would edit down the videos to a short length. I think 15 minutes max. Also discussing how you are rigging and what you're using for bait would be helpful. Also showing off the cats close up to the camera would be fun too. Great start though and you have my subscription. Hoping to see more.
Thanks for the input. I'll work to add things each time I make another one.

^^^ this is exactly what I thought. Turn around and explain what you are doing to the camera. 
Good video though.
(06-17-2020, 07:29 PM)elkantlers Wrote:

^^^ this is exactly what I thought. Turn around and explain what you are doing to the camera. 
Good video though.

Thanks for the comments. We'll see how it goes next time.