Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you store your downriggers in your garage?
I got a newer boat and it came with downriggers. Happy me. Now I'm wondering what the best way(s) to store them in the garage when I'm not using them? Got to keep the wife happy too.

Sorry no fishing report and Thanks for any help.
put them on a shelf. Smile
During the season, I just store them in my covered boat....off season, 'on a shelf' in the garage....
That's easy for me, my boat is stored in the garage 24/7 until I need to break it out therefore DR's stay mounted.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I have these big screw in the wall hooks, I mounted them where I had space, one hook supports the body of the rigger the other hook is for the rod end. You might be fine with using just one hook, if you have limited room.
(06-16-2020, 10:05 PM)klam Wrote: I got a newer boat and it came with downriggers. Happy me. Now I'm wondering what the best way(s) to store them in the garage when I'm not using them? Got to keep the wife happy too.

Sorry no fishing report and Thanks for any help.
Since electric downriggers (DRs) are essentially sealed units and both electric and manual DRs are made from component materials that are not moisture sensitive, storage just about anywhere shouldn't be a problem.   Anyplace in a garage that they will fit - on a shelf, on the floor, in the rafters - should work just fine.  I checked my Cannon Instruction Manuals and could not find any storage recommendations/requirements listed.  If you live in an area with a high dust environment, covering them in plastic garbage bags may be desirable.

Like Bduck, during the open water season, my DRs are never removed from the swivel mounting bases on the boat.  During the off season, they are stored on a shelf, uncovered, in the loft of my pole barn.
I did something like this:

[Image: Downrigger-Holder.jpg]

[url=https://imgbb.com/][/url]
(06-17-2020, 06:53 PM)Downriggerer Wrote: I did something like this:

[Image: Downrigger-Holder.jpg]

Thank you to each of you who responded. This last post with the vertical positioning on the wall will fit my space perfectly.
On a shelf. Nothing special. My riggers are mounted on Gimbal mounts that slide right into the customer Downrigger mounts I had made for my pontoon so it takes me all of about 2 seconds to remove them from the boat. I could probably drill a hole in a 2x8 and mount it to the wall as a shelf, but I'm not too worried about it. That's low on the list of my priorities for the fishing / boating gear. Smile