Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State parks fee increased (Answer)
I finally got a reply from one of the members on that committee where they were talking about increasing the cost of the state parks pass and entrance fees, here is what he said:

We have been in discussion over the last few years on the annual pass. It has been over 20 years since we have changed anything with the cost of an annual pass. A few months ago we met as a leadership team and again discussed the value of an annual pass. As you can imagine this is a difficult topic. Utah State Parks has always tried to be the best value out there. We have always held our camping, rental and use fees below the private market. We still are the best value! We realized that even though we have held out this long the inevitable is that the price will need to be increased if we continue to have an annual pass. At the end of the day we did not make any final decisions on when the cost of the annual pass would go up. So I don't have a date of when it may go into effect. One thing is certain over time the dollar decreases in value and the cost of goods and services will go up. If I look back 20 years ago my fishing budget was quite different than it is today. All the lures I used to pay a dollar for are now 5 to 6 dollars.It's a reality we face. We also talked about the seniors and how valuable they are to our parks system. We feel that there should be a continued discount at our gates. I foresee that we will continue to look for ways to keep parks affordable to those who have a fixed income. I don't have a number but the leadership of state parks recognizes the need. I know that seems a bit fuzzy and for that I apologize. We have always tried to do what makes the most sense for our customers. I'm sure you have seen all the improvements that we have been able to make in our parks. This is all because of the support we have from those that appreciate the value of our parks. We certainly recognize that and hope that in the end you are able to understand why we have to make changes.  Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out. Thanks for representing the fishing community!

Wayne
Thank you very much for reaching out Curt.  I very much appreciate you doing that and presenting the answer to the members of this forum.  It's very nice to know that nothing has been set in concrete yet.  There is still plenty of time for BFT Members to get involved and stay informed on this issue and I would encourage all BFT Members to make it a priority to do so.  There is an organization that was formed in 2007 that has a Mission Statement that says: To preserve, protect, promote, advocate, and educate about the cultural heritage, history, natural resources and funding needs of Utah State Parks.  The organization is Friends of Utah State Parks (FUSP).  Joining FUSP will keep you in the loop on any new issues such as the proposed Annual Pass Fee hike.  The cost to join is only $15 (individual)/25 (family).  Yes, I'm a member.
Curtis, thanks for getting the answer. 

Now, I think we should have a debate on whether or not the fee should be increased and the related issues. Rolleyes
Finally the answer thank you
The questions then are not "if" but when and how much. Those are areas in which the public can make reasoned and logical input. We should. As the answer stated, we've been enjoying a fixed price for 20 years and that equates to having had a substantial cut in price every year while everything else has gone up.
It seems like the premise here is that they have not raised any fees in the last 20 years and therefore have had stagnant revenue not keeping up with inflation. I don't believe that is accurate. While the fee for the annual pass may not have been changed in the last 20 years the fees at the gate have definitely changed. They've gone up nearly 25% in just the last couple years. I believe they receive far more revenue from the daily use fees collected at the gate than they do from annual pass sales.
Sunrise on the water
Another thing that would increase the fees they collect is the increased attendance, year by year, as the population increases and interest in outdoor recreation increases. Obviously, increased crowds also increases operating expenses, but likely not dollar for dollar for increased revenue collected.
(06-17-2020, 03:12 PM)WET1 Wrote: It seems like the premise here is that they have not raised any fees in the last 20 years and therefore have had stagnant revenue not keeping up with inflation. I don't believe that is accurate. While the fee for the annual pass may not have been changed in the last 20 years the fees at the gate have definitely changed. They've gone up nearly 25% in just the last couple years. I believe they receive far more revenue from the daily use fees collected at the gate than they do from annual pass sales.

Todd, what I did not show in my original post was the question I ask Wayne, my question was only about the State Parks pass, so even though he was indicating entrance fees, he was just talking about the pass entrance fee. You of course are correct, they have been raising the entrance fee for those that pay each time they go and I do believe that fee has been close to the going rate of other local lakes, at least at Pineview.
(06-17-2020, 03:59 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Another thing that would increase the fees they collect is the increased attendance, year by year, as the population increases and interest in outdoor recreation increases.  Obviously, increased crowds also increases operating expenses, but likely not dollar for dollar for increased revenue collected.

Good point Kent.
I sent an email to the state parks depot and their reply was such:

The passes are going to go up. At this time we don't know when or how much. We are still working out the details.
(06-17-2020, 04:19 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 03:12 PM)WET1 Wrote: It seems like the premise here is that they have not raised any fees in the last 20 years and therefore have had stagnant revenue not keeping up with inflation. I don't believe that is accurate. While the fee for the annual pass may not have been changed in the last 20 years the fees at the gate have definitely changed. They've gone up nearly 25% in just the last couple years. I believe they receive far more revenue from the daily use fees collected at the gate than they do from annual pass sales.

Todd, what I did not show in my original post was the question I ask Wayne, my question was only about the State Parks pass, so even though he was indicating entrance fees, he was just talking about the pass entrance fee. You of course are correct, they have been raising the entrance fee for those that pay each time they go and I do believe that fee has been close to the going rate of other local lakes, at least at Pineview.
  I just wanted to clarify that Curt because I think that got lost in the other thread and people were thinking we were talking about no fee increases and overall revenue.
Sunrise on the water
Yes, you are correct, it had been lost in that last thread, that is one of the reasons I started this new thread. From what Wayne said there is little doubt the State Parks pass will be going up, as has been stated, the only question now is how high it will go up and when is it going to happen. My best guess is it will go up to $150 a year or less and it will happen sometime next year but that is just a guess. If I had a say so in the matter I'd like to see it go up by no more than $100 and the senior pass be no more than $50 but that might be wishful thinking.
(06-17-2020, 04:19 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

That as well as overnight camping fees have really gone up. it would be nice if they would put that money toward improvements in the parks such as better lighting at the boat ramps, I like fishing after dark and coming into the ramps at the parks I fish totally sucks. Years ago Willard had beautiful lighting at the south marina all have been removed and it is a real bitch. Starvation and Deer Creek are no better. JUST MY 2 CENTS!
The parks Dept has spent millions and millions in the last 5 or 6 years but it's all gone to the camping side of the parks, very little has gone to other improvements. I really doubt they even think anyone fishes after dark, that is likely why they took those lights out, you are talking about, either that or the were vandalized or just burned out and they never bothered to fix them. I can give you the phone number or email address for Willard's park manager if you like. Maybe he can give you a better idea what is going on.
IF you think that the cost of running the parks has not increased over the past 20 years, you are DREAMING !! Parks and DWR do not get a big amount of their budget from the General fund, it comes mostly from user fees, license fees, etc. They also get money from several Federal programs for infrastructure, the new facilities at Echo did not grow on a tree on the shoreline. Most of that came from Federal funds along with some State money. An increase in the Annual Pass would not be out of line to help with the increased costs. The rate you pay, based on how many times you access the facility, is a steal, as is your hunting and fishing license fees. Don't scream to loudly, put a small amount away each week in a fund for your pass and your license, then it doesn't hurt when it comes time to purchase a new one. We are blessed to have the parks access that we do, ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!!
Thanks for sharing the reply that you got , That eased the pressure for a bit. I went ahead and renewed my pass for this year last week anyway. I wouldn't have any problem if the the Senior pass went up to $ 50.00 I kind of expect that anyway. As for the Regular pass I could see maybe a $20.00 increase , but that's just my 2 cents.
Looks like the state parks have some of the other marinas in a price raising mood.  I hit Lindon today and found that a simple day pass (or launching a float tube) has jumped from $5 to $10.  Makes the extra drive to Lincoln Beach (free launch) more of a bargain.
[Image: SO-LONG-LINDON.jpg]
(06-18-2020, 08:13 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Looks like the state parks have some of the other marinas in a price raising mood.  I hit Lindon today and found that a simple day pass (or launching a float tube) has jumped from $5 to $10.  Makes the extra drive to Lincoln Beach (free launch) more of a bargain.
[Image: SO-LONG-LINDON.jpg]

Whoa