Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sturgeon fishing 06/18-20/20
Took another sturgeon newbie fishing the past three days.  The bite was a little slow (we managed 10 fish) likely because the stream flow went from 7,000 CFS to 14,000 CFS, while we were there!

Started fishing at 10 AM and at 11:40 Shawn gave up his sturgeonity for a 7'3" sturgeon.  It took many trips before I caught one that large.

Weather couldn't had been much better; however, the seaweed was horrible; likely, because the river flow hasn't been really high for an extended period of time and also because the stream flow doubled while we were there.

I got some great screen shots of some sturgeon on my new fish finder.  The resolution is better on it than on the attached photos.

Had a great time with Shawn and the other two boats containing fishing buddies that were there during the same time.

[Image: Fish-finder-1.png]

[Image: Fish-finder-2.png]

[Image: Shawn-1.png]

[Image: Shawn-2.png]

[Image: Sturgeon.png]
Looks like a decent trip Kent. I guess Ira and Robert are heading up on Tues, what was your best bait? We are planning on going up to PV tomorrow to get some crappie. That side scan imagine of the Sturgeon looks really good.
(06-22-2020, 12:59 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Looks like a decent trip Kent. I guess Ira and Robert are heading up on Tues, what was your best bait? We are planning on going up to PV tomorrow to get some crappie. That side scan imagine of the Sturgeon looks really good.

Our old standby of pickled herring was our best bait.  I would have liked to have tried some fresh crappie but was unable to catch some crappie up there.
(06-21-2020, 07:03 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Took another sturgeon newbie fishing the past three days.  The bite was a little slow (we managed 10 fish) likely because the stream flow went from 7,000 CFS to 14,000 CFS, while we were there!

Started fishing at 10 AM and at 11:40 Shawn gave up his sturgeonity for a 7'3" sturgeon.  It took many trips before I caught one that large.

Weather couldn't had been much better; however, the seaweed was horrible; likely, because the river flow hasn't been really high for an extended period of time and also because the stream flow doubled while we were there.

I got some great screen shots of some sturgeon on my new fish finder.  The resolution is better on it than on the attached photos.

Had a great time with Shawn and the other two boats containing fishing buddies that were there during the same time.

[Image: Fish-finder-1.png]

[Image: Fish-finder-2.png]

[Image: Shawn-1.png]

[Image: Shawn-2.png]

[Image: Sturgeon.png]
That is awesome.  I wanted to go Tuesday but banged up my knee so I had to bag out.  I am so bummed.
Nice looking images. Glad to see the tie-downs on your rods. We ended up with 10 fish also.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(06-22-2020, 03:16 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Nice looking images. Glad to see the tie-downs on your rods. We ended up with 10 fish also.

I just heard from Don and they ended up catching 10 on Saturday, so they got 12 for the trip.
Those are some nice fish. I've only shore fished for them. I've always wanted to try it from a boat. Would you mind sharing where you put your boat in? Not looking for your fishing spot, just general area where it would be safe to launch a boat.
Looks like an amazing trip. How long was the fight for the 7 footer?
(06-22-2020, 08:30 PM)Ramen4Breakfast Wrote: Looks like an amazing trip. How long was the fight for the 7 footer?

Approximately 15 minutes.  Once you get much over 8 feet then you are talking about some epic battles.
Thanks Kent for a memorable and rewarding trip. I love having a tour guide and fishing captain all in one. Makes for a wonderful experience. You gave me all the tips and advice needed to make this trip successful. I enjoyed every bit of it. My boy still doesn’t believe me when I lay out the tape measure and show him how long the fish were. He’s seen the pictures and watched the video, but still thinks I’m trying to pull one over on him. Good fishing with you again Burley, gladly surprised to see you didn’t post a picture of our attempts to hide from the sun. Hope to make it out with you both again.