Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Day at Utah Lake 6 19 2020 w/Video
Julie and I went out of Lincoln on 6/19/2020 and had a good solid trip. We got on the water about 6:30 and off about noon, ending up with just over 15 cats, 2 white bass and a carp. I actually caught a carp on purpose! Water was 66 degrees at launch and about 72 when we stopped fishing. We dragged FLAITs at 0.5 to 0.8 MPH in 3.5 to 4.5 FOW until 11 and then moved to a deeper spot and fished 5 to 9 FOW for the last hour. We only got one in deeper water but it was the biggest of the day. 

All but 3 of the fish were caught on cut WB. The carp came on a worm and the 2 largest catfish (25.5 and 27”) liked the fresh carp meat.
Before the trip, I wanted to spend some more time in shallow water but I wasn’t expecting many fish. We were pleasantly surprised by the numbers and the size was decent.

I taped almost all of the trip and tried to implement the suggestions I got last time. I got most of it in and found that some suggestions were easier to implement than others. I also found that there isn’t much you can do to get rid of airplane noise, wind noise, or glare from the sun.
Here is the link to the edited video:  https://youtu.be/UECsMA5sqIc

Again, comments are welcome.

This trip I made a short clip of something noteworthy from the trip. I called it the “Clip of the Trip,” and I’ll try to get one from each outing. It is mostly to help me remember to try to learn something each trip, but hopefully they will be worth seeing.

This week’s clip shows us landing a fish and during the process we make a bunch of banging and clanging noises in the boat. Not on purpose of course! I remember when the net handle clanked loudly against the front of the splash well I thought to myself: “Pay attention! We are in less than 4 feet of water. With all that noise we’ll be lucky to get another bite for ten minutes at least!” For perspective, the 2 rods sticking out to the sides of the boat I call “deep rods.” They have larger sinkers and hang almost straight down. That means in 4 FOW the baits are right beside the back of the boat.

Well, about 10 seconds after all the banging, Julie gets a hit on a deep rod. It turned out to be 25.5 inches, just under 7 pounds, and completely oblivious to all the noise we made!
Here’s the link to the Clip of the Trip: https://youtu.be/HMgaHoCDLvM

[Image: IMG-7590.jpg] [Image: IMG-7601.jpg] [Image: IMG-7588.jpg] [Image: IMG-7593.jpg]

robert frost the road not taken explained
I really liked the intro on the long version where you showed the rig. It was easy to understand. I like the little short clip of lesson learned - great idea.

I will watch more of the longer one tonight when the bride says my chores are done

On a side note, fish wait for an airplane to buzz ya when your filming, its part of thier revenge. I caught a great brown last winter just as the train shot out of the tunnel near me on the Weber. I know the whole thing was planned, they just did not include me in the meeting...
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Wow got to live your whole fishing trip and it was fun Jim. Your so patient and helpful during the netting and always say thanks. I hope I'm that way gives me something to think about. I know a lot think about gear I think about life lessons and this video taught me a few good ones
Great Video, I'm sure that you know that the difference between catching and just fishing are the small details, that many of us take for granite, including an explanation of those details in your videos would be really helpful to many anglers. Some that you may consider talking about in your intro would be how you prepare and hook your bait, what your doing and how you rig the balloon, boat control speed depth, why you choose to fish particular area under different conditions. You don't need to cover all of these topics in every video but instead choose one or two topics to have as a theme for your video in the title of your videos so people who are looking for that specific information can find it in a search.
(06-24-2020, 03:18 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: Great Video, I'm sure that you know that the difference between catching and just fishing are the small details, that many of us take for granite, including an explanation of those details in your videos would be really helpful to many anglers. Some that you may consider talking about in your intro would be how you prepare and hook your bait, what your doing and how you rig the balloon, boat control speed depth, why you choose to fish particular area under different conditions. You don't need to cover all of these topics in every video but instead choose one or two topics to have as a theme for your video in the title of your videos so people who are looking for that specific information can find it in a search.
Thanks, those are great inputs! I had planned to do the bait and hook explanation "on the water" right after the gear was in fishing. When we got to the spot the wind was howling, I only got 1 rod in and while I put in the second, we were blown sideways and the first line got in the trolling motor Sad  I threw out an anchor and a couple more lines. While I untangled the electric we had 3 fish hit. By then I had forgotten almost everything about the day's plan! That's just fishing I guess.

(06-23-2020, 01:39 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I really liked the intro on the long version where you showed the rig. It was easy to understand. I like the little short clip of lesson learned - great idea.

I will watch more of the longer one tonight when the bride says my chores are done

On a side note, fish wait for an airplane to buzz ya when your filming, its part of thier revenge. I caught a great brown last winter just as the train shot out of the tunnel near me on the Weber. I know the whole thing was planned, they just did not include me in the meeting...
Thanks! Sometimes they are a lot smarter than the fisherman and other times they are only a little smarter