Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From down south
Hi, folks. I'm Morgan, hailing from Utah's San Juan county, and hoping to pick up some advice and knowledge from older anglers. I started my fishing just a couple months ago as a hobby and now also for food. I think I've picked up fishing pretty well so far but I've mostly researched and taught myself--which only takes me so far in the world of such a personal sport!

I'm getting by as a largely-broke young angler with a decent rod and tackle, and I mostly night-fish to avoid the growing summer heat and the bulk of main fishing crowds. Not a lot of fishing spots in easy reach in Utah's southern deserts, and a lot of people have taken up fishing with the social distancing and job issues from the pandemic.

Really looking forward to learning and catching!
Welcome to the site. I'm going to move your post to our Utah board, I'm sure you can get some advice there.
WH2
(06-24-2020, 09:23 AM)little_desert_lakes Wrote: Hi, folks. I'm Morgan, hailing from Utah's San Juan county, and hoping to pick up some advice and knowledge from older anglers. I started my fishing just a couple months ago as a hobby and now also for food. I think I've picked up fishing pretty well so far but I've mostly researched and taught myself--which only takes me so far in the world of such a personal sport!

I'm getting by as a largely-broke young angler with a decent rod and tackle, and I mostly night-fish to avoid the growing summer heat and the bulk of main fishing crowds. Not a lot of fishing spots in easy reach in Utah's southern deserts, and a lot of people have taken up fishing with the social distancing and job issues from the pandemic.

I don't know how close you are to Sand Hollow, but we have been getting some really nice bluegills from there just off the shore in and among the flooded trees.  Great fight and good eating.  Problem is you have to pay to get in because it's a state park.
(06-24-2020, 12:00 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Welcome to the site. I'm going to move your post to our Utah board, I'm sure you can get some advice there.
WH2
Thanks!

(06-24-2020, 03:20 PM)Gone Forever Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 09:23 AM)little_desert_lakes Wrote: Hi, folks. I'm Morgan, hailing from Utah's San Juan county, and hoping to pick up some advice and knowledge from older anglers. I started my fishing just a couple months ago as a hobby and now also for food. I think I've picked up fishing pretty well so far but I've mostly researched and taught myself--which only takes me so far in the world of such a personal sport!

I don't know how close you are to Sand Hollow, but we have been getting some really nice bluegills from there just off the shore in and among the flooded trees.  Great fight and good eating.  Problem is you have to pay to get in because it's a state park.
Oh boy... Sand Hollow is about 6 miles away from me. I'm over in the Four Corners region.
If you are in the four corners area, Sand Hollow is a lot more than six miles away.

I would think your best bet in the area are some of the reservoirs around Blanding and Monticello.  There are the Blanding #3 and #4 Reservoirs, Recapture Reservoir a little further north, and Lloyd's Reservoir Reservoir near Monticello.  There also a couple of small lakes near Monticello, Foy Lake and Monticello Lake that have populations of fish.

Good luck!
It's a little tricky to figure out, and I haven't done much of this myself, but I know some guys that have figured out how to drive in to the upper portions of Lake Powell. Access usually happens at the few marinas, but fishing in some of those tiny back canyons can be amazing.

Stripers are the big draw, of course, but there are all kinds of species in there, and the bass/bluegill/catfish/walleye/crappie fishing can be off the hook, all good eating fish.

From what I hear, what is "on" any given year varies, but my one friend (years ago, mind you) told me about fishing from a canoe in June, in the backs of tiny, shaded bays. He would hit deeper, rocky spots for smallmouth, then move up. Way up in, wherever tamarisks and willows grew, big mats of logs and tumbleweeds would collect, and they would kill it on small bass, crappies, and huge bluegills.
(06-25-2020, 03:14 AM)gofish435 Wrote: If you are in the four corners area, Sand Hollow is a lot more than six miles away.

I would think your best bet in the area are some of the reservoirs around Blanding and Monticello.  There are the Blanding #3 and #4 Reservoirs, Recapture Reservoir a little further north, and Lloyd's Reservoir Reservoir near Monticello.  There also a couple of small lakes near Monticello, Foy Lake and Monticello Lake that have populations of fish.

Good luck!
Whoops, I meant six hours.
(06-26-2020, 01:20 AM)little_desert_lakes Wrote:
(06-25-2020, 03:14 AM)gofish435 Wrote: If you are in the four corners area, Sand Hollow is a lot more than six miles away.

Good luck!
Whoops, I meant six hours.
Yeah, sorry, I thought maybe you were on the south west not the south east.  Sand is to far.