Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow day a Willard 6-24-20
Wiperslayer was out of town, fishing with liketrolling in Idaho, so after three tries and fails to get someone else to go, I went by myself. Launched around 7:30 am at the South marina, water temp was already 73 degrees, a lot warmer than last week. Headed out to a spot I'd heard was doing good and it might have, if I had brought my tackle box Sad. All I had was some kokanee lures, so I gave it a try, with no luck, in the first hour at least. I sent a text to a guy that I knew was out there and he was nice enough to loan me a couple of lures but nothing like my normal arsenal, beggars can be choosers, so I was thankful I had something to work with. Less than 5 minutes later, I had my first eye in the boat, I thought this would work out great but after two more hours and nothing, I was ready to give up. I noticed something on top of the water way back there and I was thinking crappie, going for a ride, just at that moment a big wiper slammed my second rod, so I reeled it in first, what a battle.
[Image: 100-3334.jpg]
Then I turned my attention to my second rod, turned out to be a walleye, surprised he gave up so easy and was just skating on the top like that. Well that was it, got off the water at 12:30. Lessen learned, if I want to catch more fish, I've got to learn to bring my tackle Rolleyes.
[Image: 100-3336.jpg]
Lots of shad in the water.
[Image: 100-3333.jpg]
Rookie.  At least you remembered some rods.  I've gone fishing with guys who "forgot" theirs...and wanted to borrow mine.  Ha.

Glad you at least salvaged some fish...if not your dignity.  Lessons hard learned in life.  But anybody who claims to have never forgotten something important on a fishing trip will lie about other things too.  Been that, done there.
Since Ira and I fish together most weeks, he drives one week and I drive the next. I keep a tackle bag ready to go, so last week when I got back from fishing with him in his boat, I just put my tackle bag in the garage, instead of putting it in my boat. I wasn't planning on going out until later this week but I got a really good report from a member last night and all I could think about was getting out there today. I keep my kokanee gear and rods in my boats so that is why I had them in there but from now on, I need to walk that extra distance and put by tackle bag back in my boat, lesson learned.
Everybody forgets minor items like wading boots or the pontoon boat air pump.  My personal best was the morning I went bowhunting and left my arrows home.
(06-24-2020, 11:13 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Rookie.  At least you remembered some rods.  I've gone fishing with guys who "forgot" theirs...and wanted to borrow mine.  Ha.

Glad you at least salvaged some fish...if not your dignity.  Lessons hard learned in life.  But anybody who claims to have never forgotten something important on a fishing trip will lie about other things too.  Been that, done there.
we made it back from fishing for Sturgeon  the Sturgeon flig I got from you worked good I wore one out.  the hook held up good.
(06-25-2020, 01:22 PM)liketrolling Wrote: we made it back from fishing for Sturgeon  the Sturgeon flig I got from you worked good I wore one out.  the hook held up good.

Wunnerful.  What color were you using?
Glad to see you were able to salvage the trip. I've forgotten all the things I've forgotten to bring with me, but recently I forgot to bring enough rods for my wife and kids... had to share 2 rods between the 5 of us.
(06-25-2020, 01:25 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(06-25-2020, 01:22 PM)liketrolling Wrote: we made it back from fishing for Sturgeon  the Sturgeon flig I got from you worked good I wore one out.  the hook held up good.

Wunnerful.  What color were you using?

Rainbow, I got two from you.   only one I tried   the bad thing is I left the other one home I was going to rig both up but forgot and left one  home this post got me thinking.    I had all the others with me but did not use them should have because the other pole did not catch a sturgeon.   I cant remember how many the flig got   one time is was 5 in two Hours.
(06-25-2020, 04:01 PM)JArner Wrote: Glad to see you were able to salvage the trip. I've forgotten all the things I've forgotten to bring with me, but recently I forgot to bring enough rods for my wife and kids... had to share 2 rods between the 5 of us.

Yes, it could have turned out worse. I thing I did not mention was that I did catch that wiper on one of my kokes spoons, trolling deep with lead core.