Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My last trip of the year to LB. And BFT reunion.
It was great to see everyone this weekend. And the beach was good for me again. It almost always is. We love each other. Lol. I took 3 trips down from Idaho this year. I don't do night fishing so I'm done for the year. But as you all know LB is my favorite place in the world. In three trips or basically 6 half days of fishing I landed 64 fish. I've kept track of the time and the size of each, and the last two trips I weighed the big ones. I thought before I got my new fish scale that I was catching some 10 pounders but, I know now we're only 8. But they felt like 10, I swear. 
I caught most of them on Half a night crawler threaded up on to the line with a medium size shrimp. But I love using fresh carp. I !earned years ago, after the Mortensen brothers, starting with half a night crawler threaded up onto the line, leaving half of the worm dangling, and moving, added to the catch. 
This trip I caught 4 in the weeds,a double and then one on a shinner minnow, and it slowed down so I hit Bird. I got a small male on the South Side and then nothing. So I moved to the North Side and tried some fresh chicken breast chunks marinated in WD-40. And at 12:30, 12:35,12:40 and at 12:55 the biggest yet a 24" 5 1/2 pounds. All on chicken breast chunks marinated in WD-40. And then it slowed a little so I put a fresh shrimp on and got more. 14 for the day, caught and released.

So I hit the weeds Wednesday morning after meeting for the first time BLK. He headed for Bird, me for the trees. For it is the trees I fish. The weeds are a solid barrier until you get to the trees. And then the trees create the openings in the weeds. But there is a fence line I start at. And I can usually get several there. And then with my electric motor I work my way back towards LB hitting the open pockets. But I never had to move Wednesday. I got all eight at the fence line. I had barely got there and had a couple cats. But then something big took my shrimp. A 20 lb. Carp. And I used night crawler threaded up on the line and fresh carp meat to catch rest of my limit.

I was a little disappointed when my new Bubba rechargeable knife died at 7 fish. Good thing it comes with two batteries. I think I had them both charged up.
When I got to LB, I seen TD was already on the lake, so I went and found him. And he got one as we were talking. I only took one picture of my cats all weekend.
[Image: 20200623-083632.jpg]

[Image: 20200623-083601.jpg]

[Image: 20200623-125929.jpg]
(06-25-2020, 03:13 PM)fast_randy Wrote: When I got to LB, I seen TD was already on the lake, so I went and found him. And he got one as we were talking. I only took one picture of my cats all weekend.
[Image: 20200623-083632.jpg]

[Image: 20200623-083601.jpg]

[Image: 20200623-125929.jpg]
I might complain that you didn't get my good side.  But some of us don't really have a good side.  Thanks for the pics.
Thanks for the report and the pictures, even if it wasn't TD's good side. There always seem to be some cats around Lincoln somwhere, I'm glad it keeps you coming back. BTW, There are still lots of daytime cats to catch the reso of the summer. The really big ones are rumored to be more nocturnal, I say rumored because I don't catch many really big ones. If you fish 6-10 FOW there are still lots of active fish out there.
64 cats this year and not a one with white bass. I have never even caught one before. I tried some big red sided shiners this trip. I did get a cat on half of one. But not a bite on a whole shiner. I read on Craig's post how he was catching them on Strawberry chicken. So I cut up some fresh chicken breast and put it in a baggie. Then I sprayed a bunch of WD-40 in and put it in the fridge. I did this before my last trip to LB but forgot it. So it marinated for a month in WD. I thought it was magic for a while. I was on the north side of Bird when I decided to try it. And boom, as soon as it hit the water, I had one at 12:30. Then one at 12:35, 12:40, 12:55, 1:15 and 1:30 a 26" 6 1 /2 pounder. But then it quit and I went back to shrimp and worm and got 3 more until it got to hot and I gave up for the day. I ment to try it Wednesday morning, but when I caught a carp, I used it.
[Image: 20200623-083638.jpg]
(06-25-2020, 04:24 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Thanks for the report and the pictures, even if it wasn't TD's good side. There always seem to be some cats around Lincoln somwhere, I'm glad it keeps you coming back. BTW, There are still lots of daytime cats to catch the reso of the summer. The really big ones are rumored to be more nocturnal, I say rumored because I don't catch many really big ones. If you fish 6-10 FOW there are still lots of active fish out there.
I might be back, I do want to try your flaits and Pats fligs. I have always made a point out of fishing in 4 feet or shallower. So I can stick my pole down and touch the bottom with the tip. Then set the bobber to that depth or just under. A Mortensen tip.  I do love it down there. I doubt I can stay away.
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but using WD40 as a fish attractant is maybe not the best idea. It is a petroleum distillate and could be considered introducing a pollutant in to the water. Technically illegal. For years it has been rumored to have "fish oil" in it, It does not. Many people use it for fishing and it does work. You hear of its use in both fresh and salt water. There are other safer biodegradable/natural oils fish attractants that also work. Maybe better to use those. ( Ask Tube Dude he is master of fishtactular potions and concoctions to appease and entice the olfactory senses of fishy critters) People may say its only just a little squirt here and there. Years ago I was fishing out at bird island on a calm day and there was a boat about a hundred yards away using WD40, we could hear them asking for the can. Every time they cast a bait out a huge circle oil slick would appear. They were catching fish, but not any more than we were, and we were not using it. After an hour or so their was an oil slick covering a few hundred yards. Not sure that is a good thing for the lake.
Years ago a Dr. did some studies on scents for fishing, a conclusion he came to was that fish like things that smell and oils trailing off in many cases it helps. Another thing he concluded was often. it was not the particular smell that worked but just the fact that it smelled. He would clean and "sterilize" a lure, then add something to some and then use the other "clean". In almost all cases the Clean ones underproduced the ones that had 'anything" added to them. Just my two cents worth, but maybe WD40 is not a good idea to put into our waters. Experiment with other safer scents and see what happens. Tons of fish are caught by folks that have never used it. One other note: Berkley is of the leaders in scent research in regards to angling. I was fortunate to tour their test tanks and facility many years ago. In talking to one of the researchers he told me some interesting things. Two widely used scents/additives that anglers use and many seem to think work were Garlic and Salt. In their research they showed they were very ineffective and were not very attractive to fish. He also said the main reason salt got its place in plastic lures was that it was cheaper than the plastisol used to make the baits so they could make more lures with the same amount of plastic and it was cheaper so they made more money. In some cases it could make the bait softer for better action or feel. A good angling buddy always used banana smelly jelly for all fish. I always used shad. crayfish. anchovy. sardine etc. He always caught just as many fish as I did and when I asked him why banana he said my hands and gear smell better and the fish seem to like it to.
Food for thought and just my 2 cents worth !
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
A huge oil slick from one squirt on the bait. You lost me right there. Just my 4 cents.