Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Slow for us
I thought last Friday was pretty slow for us trolling on Strawberry (with the fleet North, South, East, and West) So figured to give it another try mid-week to escape all the boat pressure..So we tried yesterday again (Wed.) lines in water by 0630..Plenty of boats again...and fewer kokes, at least for us....Wind again about 1130 as we were pulling out, otherwise it was a picture-perfect morning, at least for the boating part....lots of cutts helped saved the rather kokeless A.M., and just 1-15" koke came to the net....Another good day on the water, but I'll be trying somewhere else next time....Too many boats scattering them? Just losing my Mojo? Are they all in Soldier Creek? Everybody releasing all the cutts and harvesting kokes only? Was it just a 'bad day'? solunar charts said it was supposed to be a 'best day'...Any other ideas, or similar outings at 'the Berry'? Huh
I don't usually fish the Strawberry side, and haven't fished the Soldier creek side since last summer so I'm  of no help to you there. Heading to Deer Creek Sunday for a few days and was hoping on making a run up for the kokes one day next week hoping to get my son and daughter into a few. They want to try something besides walleyes for a bit.
Seems as if it can change day to day. I fished Monday, Tuesday and Thursday this week (dental crown appointment on Wednesday). Monday was slow for us, Kevin and I only got 1 koke. Tuesday was much better. My 91 yr old friend Howard and I got our 8 kokes by 1000. Had to fire up the O2 concentrator for the ride home - he got a bit excited. Thursday I took my nephew, his wife and 10mo old. That was fun - haven't had little kids for over 30 years. We ended with 10 kokes with probably 5 that came off on the way in - newbie fishermen and women accounted for the fish lost. Looks like Monday and Wednesday were the slower days.

By the way, I don't fish with the crowds up by the marina. Not sure if that makes any difference, but I seem to find kokanee in lots of places on the Strawberry side.
It was nice to talk to you again on the water Thursday. I talked me wife into going and we had a great time. We only got 1 Koke and several cuts. We are going to smoke the salmon today. Thanks for your help! We took off about 11:00. I didn’t want my sweat heart to get bored. Lots of boats for sure!